Core i5-3570k HD 4000 graphics

LambofGod

Hi everyone. I started buying my computer parts and **have** eveything I need,but the following:

**CPU
***GPU
******OS
*********Aftermarket heatsink.

I was going to wait till I could purchase all the above before placing my next order,but the graphics card was the main thing burdening my wallet.

However I was like: "duh" the CPU has built in HD 4000 graphics I could just go ahead and hold off on the Graphics Card and atleast be able to fire up my system and check everything is in good working order,as well as have a PC that is working rather than a cardboard box full of plastic/metal.

My questions are:

1: If I were to use the Integrated graphics for the time being...after I bought a GPU in the future the CPU would automatically detect a aftermarket Graphics card and **completely stop** using the built in one right ?.

2: Since I am not going to be using the Integrated graphics for long term...I should go with a cheaper CPU with less built in graphic power ? (refer to Q:#1) cause after I buy the GPU I won't have no need for it?.

3: Any one have any CPU Heat sink suggestions that will fit my case (HAF 912) and as far as OS goes do I **really** need a fancy version of Windows 7 or just the most plain ? I only plan on playing games,music,and minor web browsing...

Thank you all sorry for my large thread.

Where are you going to purchase your parts from? Are you any where near a Micro Center? What power supply are you considering? Will you be overclocking? Windows 7 64 will more than suffice; I run it. I have that very same cpu in my new build.

What is your budget?

I have already been purchasing from Newegg and plan to continue with them

No I don't think there is a micro center that I know of.

I already got a power supply 650w Corsair.

Overclocking ?... yes maybe later down the road ...Now? - No.

**The only parts I need are CPU,GPU,O.S,Heat sink cooler.**

Everything is already picked but heat sink,and O.S. don't know much about what a pricey O.S. will give you rather than a cheap one

1: If I were to use the Integrated graphics for the time being...after I bought a GPU in the future the CPU would automatically detect a aftermarket Graphics card and **completely stop** using the built in one right ?.

No. They will both function, and that's not a bad thing either if you can find some innovative uses to take advantage of the extra gpu processing. However there are other things you can do, like reduce the amount of shared memory to a minimum. And there's a chance your motherboard might let you completely disable the integrated graphics as well. Otherwise, it's good to it as a backup if your PCI GPU has problems or downtime for whatever reason. It's still reasonably good to have.

2: Since I am not going to be using the Integrated graphics for long term...I should go with a cheaper CPU with less built in graphic power ? (refer to Q:#1) cause after I buy the GPU I won't have no need for it?.

Absolutely not! The i5-3570K is an awesome CPU for it's class. Your Z77 motherboard and ivybridge architecture, I believe, has more to do with the integrated graphics than the CPU itself.

3: Any one have any CPU Heat sink suggestions that will fit my case (HAF 912) and as far as OS goes do I **really** need a fancy version of Windows 7 or just the most plain ? I only plan on playing games,music,and minor web browsing...

Honestly...try it with the stock heatsink first and see how it goes. Even with moderate OC, it doesn't get as hot as you might expect! And even so the Ivybridge chips are designed to operate at higher temps. I got a Corsair H100 for my i7, but so far my i5-3570K is doing great with just the stock fan. Granted I have a large ATX case, and 4 huge fans, there's no alarms going off. Of course I'm not overly greedy with my overclocking either. The performance difference vs the temp difference curve isn't worth the shortened lifespan, strain, and drain you put on your system. However if you really want to go heating things up, I still always recommend watercooled systems. They're worth every cent. And Corsair makes a great product. An H60 should work just fine, or you could go as low as the H40 for your smaller form factor, and throw an extra fan on the radiator. In any situation, Make sure you case has plenty ventilation pumping through your case to keep everything else cool as OC will make your whole rig toasty. You might want to install a couple high quality fans (at least one to push and one to pull) no matter what you decide to do, which might mean modding the case and drilling a whole bunch of holes in it to accommodate the air flow and mounting of fans.

And your OS is almost irrelevant in most situations as it is ALL done in the BIOS, and the only thing that windows does is run software that will let you dynamically adjust the OC and monitor the temps. So you don't need any fancy version of anything. You don't even NEED windows at all. Always look for motherboards, peripherals, and the like that support Linux as well. That shows they are serious about supporting their consumers, even if you'll never use Linux.

Also, sign up for Newegg.com's emailer... if you're patient you can get some pretty awesome deals. Also Amazon can be a good place to find some good deals. And of course, it's good to keep an eye on www.slickdeals.com and try to get in on a good sale that's been posted there if you can. :)

Overclocking ?... yes maybe later down the road ...Now? - No.

If you don't plan on overclocking, then you don't have to worry about any aftermarket cooling at all, provided you set the stock heatsink with the thermal compound on the cpu correctly. (and it's almost fool proof, and the thermal compound is spread out so it covers everything) No need to sweat that until you really start to OC the machine, and even with the stock heatsink and fan you can still do a little overclocking without worry. Sounds like you just about good to go.

And as far as operating systems go, if you're familiar with Linux, (or even if you're not) get download a 64bit Distro of Xubuntu, Kubuntu, or Ubuntu, (Same basic operating system, just different desktops) burn the ISO do a CD/DVD and boot from the disk and play around with them. They're free, and just a few flavors of many different distros of Linux. You can visit distrowatch.com and read about some of the different types of Linux. Ultimately, I'd recommend Xubuntu. :)

My reason for asking about overclocking has been answered. The stock cooler is more than adequate. The reason I asked about Micro Center is because they sell the i5-3570 for $189 and on top of it have a tremendous combo savings with the purchase of Z77 motherboard.

I have never owned my own PC but the only one's I have ever used were running Windows (95-Win7) I couldn't tell you that I know anything about linux at all (lol) in fact I have never fired up a PC without Windows already running therefore always had the impression that it was mandatory I think I will install just because it's all I have known.

There are things like 32bit - 64bit,Home premium,ultimate,etc ... that I have never had to acknowledge ,therefore have no idea what would suit me,or in worse case scenario lack what I could really have used

I would only overclock to maybe play a game that doesn't run smoothly,so in all actuality I could potentially go a few years without even bothering with it and wouldn't anytime soon until its all put together and I warm up with not only my first personal computer,but probably the best one I have ever used lol. (I don't know too many computer swavvy people)

I was actually so concerned about a aftermarket cooler due to the endless negativity I have seen regarding the stock heatsinks,reviews,and videos of people disregarding it immediately,calling it a "paper weight",and all around poor qaulity it visually gives off.

I have had no problem with the stock heatsink fan. Usually those who disdain it are your high tech enthusiastes who build for power, speed, and overclocking.

Go with Windows 7 64.

You want Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Ultimate is a total waste of money for normal gaming users.

I would still recommend a cheap aftermarket cooler e.g. Hyper 212+, at $30 it's a very good investment to keep your CPU cool. The stock HSF is designed to fit in low profile cases so doesn't provide good cooling at all. I wouldn't bother with more expensive coolers though, you get minimal gains for a much bigger hole in your wallet.

I wouldn't even bother with a cheap aftermarket cooler. The stock cooler does great, and when you're ready to spend the cash to do some real overclocking, the "CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler" over at Newegg, at normal, non-sale price is only $64.99+Free Shipping right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181015
which in comparison makes spending $30 on a "cheap" heatsink a waste of money.

Better idea to just set the price alarms for some of the coolers that you think you might like. (Wait until the H60 drops price or goes on sale, or just outright buy it when you decide you're ready to do some OC.)

The H80 would be good if it went on a massive sale, if you ever plan on really pushing the overclocking. That's the only exception I could imagine.. It's going for 99.99 which is about what it would cost you for the H100 right now, (which is a monster of a cooler, probably longer than your case), that is selling for 109.99+Free Shipping (or $94.99 after Rebate but I personally hate rebates) But you won't be needing anything that big for the i5-3570k anyway, unless the H80 goes on sale for $75 or less, there's no reason to waste the money anyway. :)

I have had no problem with the stock heatsink fan. Usually those who disdain it are your high tech enthusiastes who build for power, speed, and overclocking.

Go with Windows 7 64.

I agree. I forgot to mention, whatever OS you go for, make it 64-bit. :)

@LambofGod: Which begs the question.. "Got Ram?"

I wouldn't even bother with a cheap aftermarket cooler. The stock cooler does great, and when you're ready to spend the cash to do some real overclocking, the "CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler" over at Newegg, at normal, non-sale price is only $64.99+Free Shipping right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181015
which in comparison makes spending $30 on a "cheap" heatsink a waste of money.
Sorry but that's completely false. The CM Hyper 212+ is easily the best bang for buck cooler on the market, running 18C cooler at stock and 23C cooler at load than the stock Intel HSF. That's a huge improvement for only $30. Those numbers are tested on an i7 920 which runs hotter than Ivy Bridge so you can expect lower temps on a 3570K.

The H80 performs close to the top end air coolers (Noctua D14 and Phanteks) which all cost around the same price, but $100 is too much to spend for most people and not worth the money unless you're hardcore overclocking.

For a lot of computer components (CPU, GPU, PSU, etc.) you get exactly what you pay for but that's not always the case for CPU coolers. The Hyper 212+ is the default choice for a value cooler for stock and mild OC systems.

1. most of the time there is an "Automatic" toggle in the BIOS which will detect if a graphic card is plugged in and it will disable the integrated graphic. you can just plug your monitor video cable to the graphic card right away.

don't forget to uninstall the integrated graphic driver (intel) and install the graphic card driver (nvidia or amd) afterwards.

2. stay with the 3570K. consider the integrated graphics a bonus, or a backup in case the graphic card is busted.

3. I would suggest aftermarket hsf if you're often using CPU-intensive applications. my intel 2500 (non-K) using stock hsf would stay around 45C when idle or under light load such as browsing. when gaming, it shoots up to 60-70C and stays there. however if I decided to do a 3D rendering, which force 100% load on all 4 cores, it will stays around 90C (double the temp when idle). mind you the side window is already opened and the room is fully air-conditioned, not to mention the unused integrated graphics.

therefore I find what slh28 suggested reasonable, for 30$ it's just a little fraction of the 3570K price. again, that solely depends on your usage. also, windows 7 home premium 64 seems to be the best bet, although windows 8 is just around the corner and may just cost $39.99

if you're feeling adventurous, there's always free trial of Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows 8 Pro for the interim period.

Hi everyone. I started buying my computer parts and **have** eveything I need,but the following:

**CPU
***GPU
******OS
*********Aftermarket heatsink.

I was going to wait till I could purchase all the above before placing my next order,but the graphics card was the main thing burdening my wallet.

However I was like: "duh" the CPU has built in HD 4000 graphics I could just go ahead and hold off on the Graphics Card and atleast be able to fire up my system and check everything is in good working order,as well as have a PC that is working rather than a cardboard box full of plastic/metal.

My questions are:

Thank you all sorry for my large thread.
The Intel HD 4000 iGPU is surprisingly decent, I used it for almost a week before installing my GTX 550 Ti and it ran everything fine, even most games. On my motherboard (Asus P8Z77-V) you can use Lucid Logix MVP to sort of SLI the iGPU and the dedicated GPU, using both at once, or just select PCIe as the graphics option in BIOS and just use the video card. For CPU cooling I now swear by the Corsair H100 for any overclocking at all if you like cool temps. For those who never plan on OC'ing a Hyper 212+ or Hyper 212 Evo is fine. I would use the stock cooler for a paperweight - gaming with it will have your temps in the 75-85c range, within spec but too high for my taste and stability requirements. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit O.E.M. is the OS you want ($100) or the full version (non-O.E.M.) for $180 that's transferable to any system.

I heard.to stay away from the O.e.m version cause it would" cost me more in the long run" with I don't see why? ?? I definitely like the 100$ price tag...180 is very annoying to pay for windows..just is very satisfying for an os. Just not sure what O.e.m lacks compared to full? ?. Maybe some one can elaborate? .

Thanks every one for your answers very helpful and appreciated.

OEM is a designation for use on one machine only. In other words, you can install your OS on only one machine. If you find in the future you have to do a clean reinstall you must contact MS for activation but many, many people have done this without issue.

Newegg will have Windows 7 64 on sale periodically. Hopefully you can catch a sale soon.

Thanks I plan on buying the O.E.M version. 180 $ for retail is... ugh just too high. I worry that with a motherboard failure,or something I will be without,but like what you said I guess they will compromise for hardware issues...

Microsoft has never been too clear on the rules for O.E.M. but supposedly it's intended for established system builders (like Dell, Gateway, or Omar's PC Emporium) to use with the [FONT=arial]Windows [/FONT][FONT=arial]OEM[/FONT][FONT=arial] Preinstallation [/FONT][FONT=arial]Kit[/FONT][FONT=arial] (Windows OPK) which allows them to bundle software and drivers with Windows and name the system and put their own serial # on it. However, so far they have always allowed private system builders to use O.E.M. versions without using Windows OPK. For a while Microsoft required it's vendors to only sell O.E.M. to customers also buying motherboards and other major hardware, but now you can just order O.E.M. by itself. If your mobo goes up in smoke I'm sure you could talk Microsoft into re-activation even if you change model or brand, just don't try it too often.[/FONT]

Back