Corrupted and Unreadable External Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Please help!!
I have searched the internet for days on trying to find a solution to my problem...

I have a Maxtor 6 200g hardrive External connected by USB. I have heaps of photos etc on it.
First i started getting Corrupt and Unreadable error messages when i tried opening certain directories. A few days later i cannot access any of it.

The drive is plugged in. It is recognised in disk management and it gets assigned a letter. However, it says that it is 100% FREE.

I have tried get data back program and also checkdisk but they are not able to access the drive...

Is the anything that i can do to firstly access the drive? i have also tried Testdisk but it does not show up on the list...

Thanks..

I already tried CHKDSK...

When i run it, i get the following error
" The type of the file system is NTFS. Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted"

before attempting anything furhter strongly advise you don't do any more repair attemps or ANYTHING on that computer until you first create a ghost image copy of that disk so if repair goes wrong (and they do) you can still get back to current point and try again

Dont do anything on the computer? Im confused....
This is an external HDD... Are you saying i should make a ghost image of the HDD? or the disk on my laptop????

I have a Maxtor 6 200g hardrive External connected by USB. I have heaps of photos etc on it.
First i started getting Corrupt and Unreadable error messages when i tried opening certain directories. A few days later i cannot access any of it.

You don't want to do anything to your hardrive with "heaps of photos etc on it".

If that means you're going to physcially disconnect it then you can what ever you like with other components until you get the drive ghosteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back