Corsair launches K100 RGB mechanical gaming keyboard, available now for $229.99

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Corsair on Thursday announced the K100 RGB mechanical gaming keyboard, a flagship offering packed with amenities. If you're in the market for a high-end, gaming-minded board with very few compromises, this could be the one to beat in 2020.

The K100 RGB board features 110 PBT double-shot keycaps utilizing your choice of Cherry MX Speed Silver or Corsair’s OPX optical-mechanical switches, the latter of which boasts a 1.0mm actuation point.

Corsair’s latest also features AXON Hyper-Processing Technology, which the company says enables 4,000Hz hyper-polling and 4,000Hz key scanning to register keypresses up to four times faster than a standard gaming keyboard.

The K100 additionally includes per-key RGB backlighting and a 44-zone RGB LightEdge array that runs along the sides and top of the board’s aluminum frame to further create a custom look. The multi-function iCUE control wheel, meanwhile, affords “convenient command over backlighting, media jogging, or as an additional scroll function in creative applications or games.”

Other amenities include six dedicated macro keys, standalone media controls, a pass-through USB port to connect an additional device, a magnetic, detachable palm rest, full key rollover with 100 percent anti-ghosting, a braided USB cable and 8MB of onboard storage that can accommodate up to 200 individual profiles.

Corsair’s K100 RGB mechanical gaming keyboard is available to purchase from today directly from Corsair and comes backed by a two-year warranty. Expect to shell out $229.99 for the opportunity.

Permalink to story.

That's a lot of money for a keyboard... but I suppose there are those who feel it's necessary. I'm a big fan of my old Lenovo keyboard that came with one of my school computers like 12 years ago...

>> "...which the company says enables 4,000Hz hyper-polling and 4,000Hz."

Impressive stats .... far faster than polling at a slug-like 4khz, I'm sure.

I was not aware that 4,000 Hz could be achieved without overclocking your USB controller. I would definitely like to see a test of this done to see if it lines up with claims.

I don't know how good Corsair's optical switches are but I can say from my own personal experience that optical switches are noticeably faster at 144 Hz or above.

I paid a lot I felt for my K70.
Just not happy the iCUE software was just discarded. No support for it, can no longer get any profiles.
Have to make me own from scratch. And I am lazy.

I was not aware that 4,000 Hz could be achieved without overclocking your USB controller.
You're confusing the keyboard scan rate with the USB poll rate. Total latency is the sum of the two, so regardless of what the poll rate is set to, increasing the scan rate reduces total latency.

Paying $230 for a keyboard is frankly absurd. But remember ‘Corsair Gaming’ as it is called now is nevertheless a billion-dollar company. Just before going public a few months ago, Andy Paul (CEO) said 2.8 billion gamers worldwide spent more than $148 billion on game peripherals in 2019. Mr. Paul now being in the 'public eye' makes over $1.2 million a year in executive compensation and further 400,000 shares of exercisable stock-based compensation purchasable at $1,10 per share. All neatly outlined in their Form S-1 IPO statement. His personal net-worth immediately following the IPO is way out of sight and over $100 million to be sure. So with this he really does not need the money. While at the same time Corsair for some time now has been overpricing the industry at large. They call it “High Performance Gaming.” But what do I know…I am just the man on the street still clunking away on a 1985 Model-M mechanical keyboard from IBM and which simply will not die. Physical durability prevailing.

I am not paying that much for a keyboard with switches that are soldered on. GMMK comes in around $130. Much better deal.

You're confusing the keyboard scan rate with the USB poll rate. Total latency is the sum of the two, so regardless of what the poll rate is set to, increasing the scan rate reduces total latency.

No the article pretty clearly states both are at 4,000 Hz

" Corsair’s latest also features AXON Hyper-Processing Technology, which the company says enables 4,000Hz hyper-polling and 4,000Hz key scanning to register keypresses up to four times faster than a standard gaming keyboard. "

And still it's going to have a lifespan of about a year. I'm on my second K70 and the keys start to pop out of it again.

Back