Cost Effective SLI Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crackalack

Hello Techspot,

First time poster on this site (yeah...ima noobie poster)

My question is simple - A good, cost effective solution for an SLI gaming rig that doesn't need an Nvidia x260 or x280, Im not rich lol. I was thinking a couple of 9600's but not entirely sure. And yes my board supports SLI, infact its x3 SLI capable. Any ideas anyone?

Just post if you have an idea, I am well aware that I would be needing a better PSU and will be upgrading my 580w accordingly. Thanks any and all who reply.

Forgot to mention (thank the CPU for editing options) I am using an 8800 GTS (le sigh, the 320mb version)

Well, if you really must have SLI, two 9800GTX+'s is about where SLI breaks even with the top-end single card configs (GTX280, HD4870x2).

But that would cost you about as much as one of those single card solutions, with less room for expansion later. It's really not worth it to SLI 9600 series cards. SLI is really only featured on those cards as a gimmick.

Well, if you really must have SLI, two 9800GTX+'s is about where SLI breaks even with the top-end single card configs (GTX280, HD4870x2).

But that would cost you about as much as one of those single card solutions, with less room for expansion later. It's really not worth it to SLI 9600 series cards. SLI is really only featured on those cards as a gimmick.

Ahh, see, now my boss (and his boss) told me the same thing.. Well thank you for confirming. One of the bosses mentioned earlier, uses the X280 and he dont mind rubbing that in my face, but I use my rig for more than just World of Warcraft.

Now then, because I got this MoBo with trip SLI (a christmas gift) Are the other two PCI-Ex16 slots gonna be a pretty colour on the board or what?

And thank you for your reply.

Well, you could install more than one card, but you get more performance for your dollar if you install just one top end card right now, with the option to add one or two more later for even more performance. But I'd advise waiting until the GTX295 comes out, in the coming weeks (EDIT: it's out now). Then you will be able to either buy it, as the new flagship from Nvidia, or you will be able to get a GTX280 at a reduced price, because the GTX295 will make them cheaper.

But a single GTX280 is about as powerful as 2 9800GTX+s in SLI. And a 9800GTX+ is probably around the power of 2 9600s in SLI.

So imagine the power of 3 GTX280s in SLI. That's why it's the best way to go, because it's powerful now, and allows upgrade room later.

Well, you could install more than one card, but you get more performance for your dollar if you install just one top end card right now, with the option to add one or two more later for even more performance. But I'd advise waiting until the GTX295 comes out, in the coming weeks. Then you will be able to either buy it, as the new flagship from Nvidia, or you will be able to get a GTX280 at a reduced price, because the GTX295 will make them cheaper.

But a single GTX280 is about as powerful as 2 9800GTX+s in SLI. And a 9800GTX+ is probably around the power of 2 9600s in SLI.

So imagine the power of 3 GTX280s in SLI. That's why it's the best way to go, because it's powerful now, and allows upgrade room later.

If that didn't help me to decide then I don't know what else would, MetalX, you're my new best friend (dont worry, im not a facebook creeper O.o)
Can't thank you enough for the information you provided. And as we speak, I have a GTX260 on order and I can't wait to slap the new system together. The motherboard i have is an XFX Nforce 780i SLI and an E8400 will be the CPU

Sounds like it'll be a very nice system. :) Good luck. I'm glad to have been of assistance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back