Could my RAM cause my games to keep freezing?

I have a Toshiba Satellite L505-GS6000 and was looking to upgrade my ram so my computer would run faster. one reason I am doing this is an online game I used to play all the time wont play very well, the fps is good but after about 4 mins of playing the game starts freezing every 4-5 seconds. my question however is while looking for ram to put in my computer I found a Corsair 8GB PC8500 DDR3 1066Mhz SODIMM Memory - 2x4096MB or Patriot PSD316G1333SK Signature Laptop Memory Kit - 16GB (2 x 8GB), PC3-10600, DDR3-1333MHz, 1.5V, CL9, Non-ECC, Unbuffered. I wasnt sure which would be better for my laptop an give it the best speed. also what does the Unbuffered mean? I was also wanting to make sure the Ram memory kits would fit in my laptop. Thanks

Might try newegg showing what appears to be the same memory for less bux. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...iot PSD316G1333SK Signature Laptop Memory Kit

The difference between registered memory and unbuffered memory is the additional hardware to increase consistency and predictability of the address and data tranmission paths however it was made.

Registered memory is addressed by the CPUs or the Controllers through an additional set of registers, the registers remained the same input impedances to the CPUs and to the Controllers however the memory was made, be it Single-Sided or Double-Sided, 4 chips or 10 chips or 50 chips construction.

Unbuffered memory have varied input impedance depending upon their construction, Single-Sided and Double-Sided have widely varied input impedance from each other.

When using them properly within their limits, there is no difference between them whatsoever for using the PC (Gaming, multi-tasking, video editing etc). Simply expect that there is additional latency introduced by add-on registers in trade for address and data tranmission path greater consistency and more predictable quality despite their varied constructions.

If you are an OC'er - Registered memory additional latency caused slight loss of maximum possible data throughput, mobos using registered memory normally were not made with overclocking in mind as that is definitely not a recipe for consistency and predictability.

Realistically nothing that you could physically see, or otherwise detect, but 1333MHz is faster. That's assuming that your laptop can handle 16GB as well, I'd say its more likely 2x 4GB is the limit.

Also, if the game has previously run fine its unlikely the RAM is the culprit for the problems you're experiencing now. I'd say the laptop could be overheating and the freezing is thermal throttling of the CPU/GPU to prevent the temperatures getting hot enough to cause physical damage. Notebook computers tend to run hotter than their PC-based counterparts.

You can confirm this by using an temperature monitoring program such as HWMonitor, by running it before opening your game and then recording the maximum and average temperatures whilst gaming.

Glad you found it. In order to help those that might search this thread in future, both Kingston and Crucial offer online tools to help you establish what memory your computer can physically use, along with the varying speeds and sizes compatible.

So what RAM can you use then @aurther13th , and what is the maximum capacity?

The Toshiba site said 8 GB max, 2x4GB.
and it said this is what I have Memory5
 Configured with 4GB DDR2 800MHz (max 8GB)
 2 main memory slots. Both slots occupied.
so looking at this again im not sure rather 8GB is the max

Ok well after calling the Toshiba company they told me that I have to have a DDR2 instead of a DDR3 with 800Mhz. and 8 GB is the max memory I can have, 2x4GB.
question what is DDR2 stand for, and whats the difference in DDR2 and DDR3

In your case, DDR2 is older memory, whereas DDR3 is newer. The two types aren't interchangeable, and you need to keep to them if you want them to fit, and work. There are more detailed explanations but in essence that's the difference that affects you directly.

So you need two 4GB DDR2-800 SODIMMs if you want to upgrade to 8GB. I do recommend you read my first reply however, as I doubt RAM is the issue.

DDR2 RAM is going to be very expensive (because it is a legacy product) and not worth the upgrade. I agree with Leeky, I don't think your issue is RAM based anyway, download Open HWMonitor and see if temperatures are your issue.

Yea I got to looking at the prices an I would be better off buying a newer laptop but I am going to do the download. also if the temperature is the issue how would I be able to fix it?

Didnt think the download would be that quick. anyway as reads.
value min max
Toshiba Portable PC
Temp
THZN 165 F 165 F 186 F
AMD Turion II M500, processor
Temp
Core#0 172 F* 172 F 195 F
Core#1 172 F* 172 F 195 F
Hitachi HTS545032B9A300
Temp
Assembly 104 F 104 F 105 F

*The number is changing from 171-173, was 184 when I was loading more internet pages/refreshing

Hitting 195'F is very, very hot!

You need to clean out the fans, it sounds like they're blocked. How old is the laptop and when were the fans last cleaned out? Over time they naturally accumulate dust and block up, its important they're cleaned out regularly or they effect airflow and consequently cause temperatures to dramatically increase. Its highly likely the issue is your overheating your CPU or the graphics chip and that's causing your issues.

Its definitely overdue a clean then. This guide will help you: http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-L505-L505D/remove-laptop-motherboard-1.htm

Its to remove the motherboard, but it looks like its going to need a good strip down anyway, so should cover everything you need to do to get access properly. The alternative of course is to get your location repair centre to look at it for you.

If you do it yourself budget for some thermal paste to replace the stuff when you take it apart.

No worries, if you get stuck let us know and I'm sure we'll be able to walk you through it.

Ok I have the fan off, can I clean the fan and the silver bar like part it blows dust out of with air from an air tank? if now whats the best way to clean it

Use a paint-brush, or similar to get the dust out of the fan as much as possible. You might find you need to blast it with compressed air though, but just try whatever works best for you really. Obviously liquids are a no-no, you could use a hoover as long as you hold the fan blades to prevent them spinning up, and you make sure that its away from the laptop.

Just as a friendly FYI this post is getting way off topic. Is it possible for the respondents to this post to start a new thread that might be more user relevant? Thanks so much in advance for your cooperation.

Just don't use dusters which produce static electricity or vacuum cleaners which might also do so.

Alright thanks, an it was a bit off topic but everything dealing with the topic was in the first 15 posts, if you didnt realize that you should be able to go to the first page

Just as a friendly FYI this post is getting way off topic. Is it possible for the respondents to this post to start a new thread that might be more user relevant? Thanks so much in advance for your cooperation.

I'll re-title the thread to better reflect the content, threads do quite often go off course, although it is actually a continuation of the OPs problem in some ways. It's temps, not RAM that's the issue.

I apologize if you took offense to my suggestion. I know you understand that whenever you are responding to the person making inquiry this dialogue is sent directly to me. I appreciate your cooperation.

Back