Couple holds first Skype wedding

Emil

Staff

Samuel Kim and Helen Oh, both 27, were to be married in California until the groom got a lung infection, putting him in the UCI Medical Center hospital in Orange. The duo had friends and family members coming from their native Korea as well as from New York to their planned wedding ceremony in the southern California city of Fullerton. Instead of postponing the wedding, however, the two turned to Skype.

"Guests said it was inspirational, they really admired my fiancé for being able to stand at the altar in the manner that she did, alone and not crying the whole time," Kim told Reuters. "She was able to hold her ground and I was able to hold my ground, not crying or anything."

Oh admitted the Skype wedding was not perfect, but agreed that the guests were happy. "He said he will make up for it, he promised me he's going to be the best husband in the world," Oh said. "He felt really terrible that he wasn't there."

Kim began spitting up blood last week and was initially too nervous to tell his bride for fear of causing her grief. He eventually told Oh, and the couple decided "the show must go on" and that their best solution was to use the VoIP service.

Five live cameramen at the couple's high-tech Korean church allowed the 500 guests to watch on large monitors with split-screen images and for Kim to watch on a laptop in the hospital's isolation ward. The hospital is less than 10 miles from the church, and Kim said he did not feel distant from the ceremony. An audio crew gave Kim his cue before his face was to appear on screen. Kim expects to leave the hospital this week.

Permalink to story.

gobbybobby said:
what... so how did they kiss?
They'll make up for it when he's not coughing up blood and infectious, but I assume they blew each other kisses, or kissed the webcam. And that's IF the ceremonial kiss was involved. *shrug*

gobbybobby said:
They should have delayed it! Must be one hell of a wedding video...
With friends and family coming from the opposite end of the country and even from across the Pacific Ocean, delaying it was probably a non-option if they wanted to have all their invited friends and relatives to be there

While maybe not the best way to have a wedding, its kinda cool how they worked around sudden health problems. As madboyv1 said, with people coming from across the US, and across the Pacific Ocean kinda hard to delay it.

Priest : Dearly Beloved, We are gathered here today..
Groom: OMG..WTF happened to teh ring..HaXXorZ
Best Man: Dude..STFU. I haz teh ring..
Groom :trollface:

darkshadoe said:
Priest : Dearly Beloved, We are gathered here today..
Groom: OMG..WTF happened to teh ring..HaXXorZ
Best Man: Dude..STFU. I haz teh ring..
Groom :trollface:

Well, that's a 21st marriage for ya.

fiancé is a lucky guy. spitting blood is a bad sign anyway congratulations. i just hope her fiancé was dressed up during the vacation. now he should prepare for the honeymoon next week.

" I now pronounce you husband and wife

ciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

OMG lagggggggggggggggggggggggg

buffering video... lost connection!!!

Back