CPU fan not running

Status
Not open for further replies.

garethrogue

I have an Intel core i7 920 2.66, my case has 3 120mm fans and 1 200mm fan. The CPU fan isn't running. I had the comp built by Fry's electronics. My question is, is the CPU fan supposed to be on at all times like I suspect or is it something that only kicks in when the CPU heats up? Is this something i can fix myself?

The CPU fan should be running at all times as far as common knowledge goes. When did you notice this issue? What are your CPU temps?

That's pretty high. Immediately check if your CPU fan is connected to the mainboard or not.

It should be running. The fan could be defective. Is it still under warranty?

It should be running. Whether you can fix it yourself depends on whats wrong and your level of experience and knowledge.

Start with the basics. Is it plugged into the motherboard? Maybe they forgot to do so or maybe it came loose at some point. If that's not it, the fan could be defective.

it is connected. i have zero experience deal with this but im not illiterate.

i need to get this fixed so i can get back to Aion Open beta and CARAMELDANSEN!

What motherboard do you have? I'll try and attach a pic showing where the CPU fan is to be connected. If you're sure that it's connected then the fan is defective. Purchase an aftermarket HSF ASAP.

problem solved......most likely.

the wires connecting the fan to the MB were caught on the fan blades, preventing them from spinning. everything is about 20c cooler now. thanks for the help.

problem NOT solved?

It just ******* froze on me again, wasn't even gaming I was on Youtube. It went into that infinate loop ******** and I had to reset.

heres my current temps:
GPU: 42C (around 55 when gaming)
Local Temp: -56c (how is anything 56c below zero?)
remote temp: 72c
temp1: 24c
temp2: 54c
temp3: 33c
core1: 22c (all the cores are around the same)

what is the remote temp and why is it so high?

What program are you using to monitor temps? Have you fixed your CPU fan issue. If not, then please do not run your PC without a working HSF. It could severely damage your processor.

What program are you using to monitor temps? Have you fixed your CPU fan issue. If not, then please do not run your PC without a working HSF. It could severely damage your processor.

Im using speedfan and yes I did figure out why the fan wasn't running, the wires connecting the CPU to the MB were caught on the fan blades. its running now.

Fan Connector On Mobo

The attachment indicates where your CPU fan should be connected. If it is not, then please do so. If it is, then it's defective so purchase a new one.

Oh. So then that should not be an issue.

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
Use the above and tell us what your CPU temp is. It should be listed as TMPIN0. Post a screenshot if possible.

However, I'm sure that your temps are ok. The issue of why it's freezing is different.

That should be totally fine. What GPU do you have? What are the ambient temps like?

Also, when the PC crashes do you get any BSOD?

That should be totally fine. What GPU do you have? What are the ambient temps like?

Also, when the PC crashes do you get any BSOD?

its a geforce GTX 260. What F key takes a screenshot? I got rid of speedfan because its garbage so I'll give you a SS of the CPUID temps.

Attachments

• HWMonitor.txt
    40.6 KB · Views: 6
"Prt Scr" should give you a print screen. Just post a screenshot (becomes easier).

Anyway, I think your temps are fine. Post your entire system specs. Like I asked before, do you get any BSOD?

"Prt Scr" should give you a print screen. Just post a screenshot (becomes easier).

Anyway, I think your temps are fine. Post your entire system specs. Like I asked before, do you get any BSOD?

nope no blue screen of death :)

ok heres everything i know about my system....

Intel core i7 920 2.66Ghz, MSI x58 Platinum MB, Nvidia Geforce GTX 260, 6 GB of RAM, 750w supply inside of an Antec Nine Hundred case with 3 120mm fans and 1 200mm fan.

Hmmm. Checked the readings from HWMonitor. I'm a little confused with the temperature sensors as they don't quite seem like mine. However the portion giving your Core Temps under the Core i7 heading seems to be a little high. Though, that should be very much under max temp rating of the CPU. I think you should first check the RAM with Memtest86+.

Could you please tell me your CPU temp as reported by your BIOS. According to my knowledge individual core temps are usually below the aggregate CPU temp. In your case they seem to be the other way round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back