CPU for a non-gaming system

DonNagual

Hello, and thank you in advance.

I'm building a computer for my Dad, and need help choosing the CPU/motherboard. He will only use it for internet browsing, email, youtube, office etc. No gaming whatsoever.

I'm assuming a CPU with built in graphics is best. I've only built higher end gaming machines, and know very little about integrated graphics.

So my question is, what is the best cpu/motherboard combo that isn't overkill for a simple system like this?

I will assume there are no CPU intensive application. And with the assumption make a statement that there are no PC configurations today that will not suffice for these needs.

Anything with dual cores or more should be fine for these needs. If this wasn't the case, people wouldn't be buying tablets for the same purposes.

Hello, and thank you in advance.

I'm building a computer for my Dad, and need help choosing the CPU/motherboard. He will only use it for internet browsing, email, youtube, office etc. No gaming whatsoever.

I'm assuming a CPU with built in graphics is best. I've only built higher end gaming machines, and know very little about integrated graphics.

So my question is, what is the best cpu/motherboard combo that isn't overkill for a simple system like this?
Probably try something pretty low and cheap. Why not go for something like this:

AMD Athlon 5150
Asus AM1M-A Board

Cheap, low power, enough for the basics...

I built a computer for watching video and browsing the Internet. I decided to use Intel and build it fairly nice.
Case: Cooler Master 130 Elite.
Pwr: CTX 430M
MB: Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI ac wireless.
CPU: i3 4330
RAM: 8 Gig DDR3
HD: 1 TB
DVD: Old one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116945
This processor is working great. The Intel HD 4600 Graphics on the CPU does a really good job. I turned the power supply upside down to get rid of the heat from inside the Mini ITX case. You could easily use a less expensive MB in form factor ATX or MATX. I just wanted an ITX case instead of a tower. Sometimes an ATX MB and case is cheaper.

I just built a system for my parents who are in their 70s for an home office build as well as using it for what your dad's needs are. I installed an AMD A4-6300 dual core ($47) and I am surprised how snappy it is.

I paired it with a Gigabyte motherboard GA-F2A88XM-D3H FM2+/FM2 AMD A88X (Bolton D4) Micro ATX (great board to work with) plus 8 gigs of G.Skill RAM in a HAF 912 case which is, IMO, a great case for Micro ATX boards. Because they keep their house warmer the extra air flow is nice and the case is not expensive at all, is solidly built, and the cable management is very good. Load times are fast.

It is not overkill at all and they are extremely pleased with the performance.

* I really like GhostRyder's suggestions.

Last edited:
Back