CPU+GPU overheating after videocard + PSU installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

talex7

Ok, well after installing both my new video card and new PSU, my computer would at times lose picture and I would have to restart. I discovered a big problem I have now is that my GPU is overheating like crazy. It idles around 55-60C and climbs to 70-80C seconds after I run a game, before settling around 85-95C (this is all with fan speed supposedly set to 100%). My CPU also seems hot, as it idles around 50C and goes up to 85C+ after being at full load for a few mins. The Psu I bought had a fan on the bottom instead of at the back like my old one, I don't know if that messes things up, but it is facing my video card fan.

I don't know much about computers so does anyone know if there is anything that I can do to potentially fix this heating problem? I tried testing it without a cover, but the temps were pretty much the same. I uploaded some pics to help: http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/114026/pics-rar.html

Thanks for the help!
(I used EVGA Precision and SpeedFan to check temps)

My Comp Stats:
Windows Vista 32bit
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ (2.6GHz)
3GB RAM DDR2
Sparkle Geforce 9800GTX+ 1GB (new)
HP Nettle Motherboard http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00906137
CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W (new)

EDIT: My CPU seems to be idling at around 45C now with both cores going to about 70-75C after playing a game for 5 minutes.

Is the new video card crammed in its space with little or on airflow around it? You will need to get some additional cooling into that OEM case

Is the new video card crammed in its space with little or on airflow around it? You will need to get some additional cooling into that OEM case
Yes it is slightly crammed, but the fan seems to be clear, though I am unfamiliar with sparkle cards.
The CPU looks clear.

You say 100% GPU fan speed and almost 95c?

Def need better cable arrangements to allow the fans to "breathe" the warm air out. Although I admit being not as tech-savvy as most here, I believe that adding a couple of case fans will not hurt one bit. Each fan can be as cheap as $12-$15 or as expensive as $25-$30. Check them out on newegg or tigerdirect.

OEM computers don't allow for very good case cooling. A front fan pulls air in, a rear or top fans pull air out... A side fan would pull air in. That's all the guidance needed here. I have an 80mm front case fan and a 120mm rear case fan

That link requires a login... I don't have that info. With the case side off, no additional fans will help you. The video card may have had its heatsink/fan improperly installed. Is the GPU fan spinning?

That link requires a login... I don't have that info. With the case side off, no additional fans will hepl you. The video card may have had its heatsink/fan improperly installed. Is the GPU fan spinning?

Yes it is, at 100% apparently. The pictures shouldn't need login info (but there is a login thing at the top), just scroll down until you see the button that is counting down from 30 or 20 seconds and wait till it hits 0.

First thing you do is check the CPU fan, then remove and replace the thermal paste and make sure it is super thin. Consider replacing the CPU fan or entire cooling aparatus, then check your temperature taking device...
These moves cure 87% of all such problems.

"I discovered a big problem I have now is that my GPU is overheating like crazy. It idles around 55-60C and climbs to 70-80C seconds after I run a game, before settling around 85-95C"...

Are we missing something here? Slowing the GPU fan speed will increase the GPU temp, not lower it.

(I used EVGA Precision and SpeedFan to check temps)

hellokitty[hk] talex7 has used EVGA Precision

When I tried running the game without fan speed at 100% (60%), when I reached the game menu which features some smoke effects, GPU temp jumped to 105C so I stopped immediately.

Also, it's really odd but if you have seen the pictures of my computer case, the card seems to get WAY hotter on the left underside (right above the RAM) than anywhere else.

If your temperature sensor is accurate, you are at failure states at 105C...
Time to replace the fan and the thermal paste... and to wonder why it didn't shut itself down... As you know, this is 221 degrees farenheit, and water boils at 212 degrees at sea level.
Serious damage may already have occurred.

If this is true you have heat issues inside your PC as well and with your video cards

i used to, but the amazing thing was that the HDD's, CPU, RAM and case temps where like mid30s-low40s on load. Then i replaced the thermal grease on the card and it was like 78C on furmark

my new pc is in the same Akasa zen case and all very cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back