CPU HSF advice?

Sharmak

So basically, my computer has a bit of an overheating problem with the CPU. Idle= ~50C. Full Load is around 70C or above, depending on how long you keep it going. The other day I was rendering with Cinema 4D, and the CPU temp was 74C for the whole render (I know its not good to keep it at high temperatures for a long time, but I was desperate).

I've tried many things. I've cleaned out my computer case/fans multiple times. I've put in new thermal paste. However, I think the problem is that I have the stock HSF.

A friend of mine said that I should get a new HSF. He has a Xigmatek Dark Knight and his CPU temps are 40C while his i7 920 is overclocked to 4.2GHz. Further research I've done supports this.

30jscoh.jpg

The image above shows the temperature differences between the room temperature and the CPU temperature. The intel stock HSF has a difference of 76C and the CM Hyper Evo has a difference of 36C.

I've been thinking of getting a Cooler Master Hyper EVO for $30+shipping at newegg canada.
By the way my PC was custom built by me.
Oh and I forgot to mention that I have 4 case fans (2 top exhaust, 1 rear exhaust, 1 front inhaust fan (whatever you call it).

What should I do now?? Should I get the Cooler Master evo cooler? I know I probably won't get much advice, but please contribute if possible.

Edit: This problem has occurred since I built this PC over a year ago..
Also, My other components generally stay pretty cool (i.e. My GPU idle=35C, LOAD=55C)

PC SPECS
-AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3.0GHz (stock speed)
-Gigabye GA-880GA-UD3H SATA 6gb/s + USB3
-MSI GTX 460 Cyclone 768D5/OC 768MB 192-bit]
-Mushkin 996586 2x2gb DDR3 1333 RAM
-HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.C HDS721010CLA332
1TB 7200RPM Sata3gb/s
-Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W 80+ PSU
-Silverstone PS-05B Mid-Tower Case

Sure why not. It seems to be the right price and is much better than the stock cooler.

Will it fit in your case?

The Cooler Master "Hyper 212" series HSFs are the best bang for the buck around. I say that in spite of the fact I hate the Cooler Master corporation, and resent them for releasing really good products that I am forced to buy for practicality's sake.

At the end of the day, you can sit around and break your head reading charts and stats, or you can have something that does a journeyman job at what it's designed to do.

So, you don't really have to have the thingy at the top of the list, to get the job done properly.

BTW, I'm not so sure a half day wait is, "bump worthy", unless of course, a sale price is expiring...:rolleyes:

I have a Noctua NH-D14 and it does the trick for me ;) I have a Phenom II 555 (stock 3.2GHz DualCore) but I have unlocked it to run as a QuadCore and it's overclocked to 4GHz...anyways, what I was going to ask was that how much thermal paste have you applied? -if there is too much then that might be what's causing the overheating. Too much thermal paste acts like thermal insulation.

Noctua NH-D14 is overkill and probably won't fit in the OP's case anyway.

Any cheap aftermarket cooler is better than the Intel one, the CM Evo seems OK.

Back