1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

CPU temperature too high

By coravine ยท 8 replies
May 5, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. I just started to check on my specification through Speccy. And found out that my CPU temperature is really high.

I wonder what happens to it? As I don't run many things, just Google Chrome.

As for the background programs, on the system tray: Windows Defender, Avast Anti Virus, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, GlassWire, Backup and Sync from Google.

And right now it's loading TechSpot forums in Google Chrome.

It happens randomly, sometimes peaked until 100 degrees c.
    As I type right now it's running around 68 - 75 degrees.

upload_2018-5-5_18-43-54.

Is this normal? Or maybe something need to be done?

2. delrey

delrey TS Booster Posts: 160   +44

Yes, that is high. Simple steps to help. Also, if it is a desktop....
    1. Clean out your computer with canned compressed air. Clean the air intake area, CPU cooler (fan and cooling fins), exhaust area, and all the dust you have in the computer. When you are cleaning anything with a fan, use a pin/paper clip to hold the fan in place as you are spraying the air.
    2. Once the system is clean, turn it on with the side panel still removed, and make sure all fans are operating. Especially the CPU cooler. If the fans are making noises or not spinning, you need to replace the fans/cooler.

After you done these 2 steps, take a look again at your temps and see if they improved. Let us know the outcome and we can help you further if necessary.

3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 13,838   +3,246

@coravine I noticed a couple of things I'm curious about in your hardware statistics.

But first, is this a home built machine, or a buy me at the store pre-built? I'm primarily curious to find out about what type of heat sink fan is on the CPU, and if it's possible the thermal compound has failed or has been misapplied

Your CPU is only running @2.98 Ghz, while it's rated speed is 3.30 Ghz. Some throttling may be occurring because of the elevated temps. (CPUs are programmed, "to save themselves", by reducing clock speeds at high temperatures.

The CPU utilization percentage (42%), seems rather extravagant as compared to the programs you claim to be running. Open "Task Manager", and see which app is using the most CPU. It's also possible you might have run into some coin mining software in your travels.

4. coravine

coravine TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi @delrey and @captaincranky, thank you for your reply and help.

I've followed delrey's suggestions to clean up my computer. Though I don't have canned compressor air (not sure where to find it in my small city, lol); so I just use a brush to brush out the dusts. I release the fan from the CPU first to clean it up.

Not that many dusts I saw, just a little, since I just use it for around 3 months.

And how surprising! Now the machine runs normal. lol

Thank you for your suggestions (I was thinking of cleaning up my computer yesterday, but since I thought I just uses it for 3 months and I've opened the side panel to see that not many dusts built yet. So I wasn't sure to clean it up yesterday).

But quite surprising how little dusts can heat up your computer, lol.

Maybe there are other things I missed but I don't know, this is enough for now. lol

@captaincranky, it's a home built. The heat sink fan is a standard intel fan.
    When I released the fan to be cleaned, I saw the thermal paste is applied properly I think. It's still stick to the heat sink and on the CPU.

Since it's only me who use this PC and I've never try to find any coin mining software, so I don't think there is any program like that in it.

Now I opened the Task Manager, and don't see any suspicious programs though.
    But I'm not savvy with technical details, so maybe there's something I missed or don't know. lol

upload_2018-5-6_18-24-13.

Thank you very much for your guys help though.

Attached Files:

5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 13,838   +3,246

@coravine. OK first, you don't find coin mining software, it finds you. Certain sites like "The Pirate Bay", are installing it on your machine, simply from you browsing the site.

Next, an i3 rig isn't that hard to cool. I have 3, and they don't run a whole helluva hotter than room temperature. So, "a little bit of dust", really shouldn't be pushing the temps that high.

Many motherboard BIOS have settings for a temperature alarm, which can be set to go off a the heat setting of your choice.

Intel's stock coolers are pure garbage, and yeah, "a little bit of dust", really might stop one from functioning. I live with 3 cats, we use clumping litter, it's dusty as all get out, and I don't have heating problems, even if I forgo cleaning months.at a time

Something else, your CPU cooler might not have been seated correctly, if the machine is cooling properly now, after you're removed it for cleaning. Normally, the HSF isn't removed for a basic cleaning, and can very likely be left on for years at a time without issue.

Since this is a home brew machine, it might be time for an upgrade of the HSF. People rarely settle for the stock Intel units, and often report substantial drops in CPU temps, even after replacing the stock coolers with only a modest after market product.

Here is a good choice to replace a stock Intel HSF: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134&ignorebbr=1 The Arctic "Freezer Pro 7" has been around for many years. I would recommend it in lieu of the much larger, commonly sold Cooler Master 212, series, which are very large and bulky, as well as being overkill for an i3 rig.

Keep an eye on task manage to make sure your CPU usage isn't being jacked up by a particular app. That 42% reading could have been an aberration, who knows. But normally readings aren't that high, just running a couple of security programs and browsing the web.

6. MaikuTech

MaikuTech TS Maniac Posts: 782   +140

68-75 degrees is abit too hot for it, it hitting 85+ degrees will make it turn off, if you don't keep it cool.
    Expect it not to last any longer than the specified years intel originally stated.
    I am banking on your last grease applying hasn't been done for 6 months to a year/
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835186173
    Follow my advice here as stated, it will work out fine and takes less than 10 minutes.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3388012/fine-alcohol-clean-cpu-thermal-paste.html

7. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,762   +175

What you have here a desktop or laptop. CPU running hot for a few reasons. Of course you can add additional case fan to your case. Switch out the CPU FAN for one that can keep the CPU cooler spinning at higher reps. DUST along yeah, but the temp of the room your in could be lowed if you need to be. Some server rooms are -30 F. Anyway my Intel laptops always run hot, I've use 24/7 cool fan on it to keep it cool.. Now I don't run them 24/7 again I have to turn them off. Save on Power ...

8. MaikuTech

MaikuTech TS Maniac Posts: 782   +140

9. elites2012

elites2012 TS Enthusiast Posts: 65   +7

1. turn off malwarebytes and ccleaner. run these programs manually once a week. you dont need to keep those running in the background. you only have 4 gigs of ram, so let the os and important things have that memory space. 2 I see you have dusted the system which is good. 3 find other browsers that dont hog your pc. try Opera, or mozilla.