Crashes with sound-loop + artefacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I built my PC about a year ago now. I initially ran it on Vista and then Windows 7 more recently to try to solve the problem...

I played games on the PC for about 6 months without ANY issues, on Vista.
The PC started to crash on 2 new games, to a screen covered in artefacts (usually green) and sound distortion - it was pretty much a sound-loop but it didn't just happen like a sound-loop, it lagged and sometimes I could hear things continue behind the now-chequered screen.

At was at first only 2 games, their graphics were not so good so I ignored it as a game flaw.. (Godfather 2 + Prototype). However then when I played Steam games I had the same exact crash, sometimes with purple artefacts however, instead of green.

So now in Windows 7 (which I pretty much bought to correct the error, thinking it was Vista-related) the problems persist. I have no clue how to solve them, few people seem to have my issue if any and Steam tells me to remove AV programs, which I do, and replace.. and the problems persist.. and I turn them off when I play...

I've already replaced my RAM and my GPU once (actually my CPU too). I'm at a loss but I'm not good with hardware or compatibility/drivers etc.. so could you guys take a look?

Regards

Hello Talanar:

Please provide us with the complete specs of your system (including casing + cooling solutions) & PSU model/make/power rating etc.

CPU: "Q9550 @ 2.83GHz"
GPU: "XFX 260 - Black Edition"
RAM: "4GB: XMS2 2x2GB Corsair DDR2"
Sound card: "Creative-X ..."
MB: "Asus 750i P5N-D"
Power supply: "Cooler Master - Real Power M620"
+
CPU fan: "Titan Fenrir"
PC Case: "Antec 1200"
+
Operationg temps (C):
CPU: 35-43; GPU: 48-65
These are normal, actually lower than normal temperatures for these components - I'm pretty sure.

Can I get this info from my PC? I can't find my sound card box at the moment so I can't give you the full name. I run 64-bit Windows 7 now, I ran 64-bit Vista before this.
If you need some more please do ask.

You can download PC Wizard 2010 to get all the info you need about your computer; infact it will let you monitor the temperatures as well. However, in this case I am suspecting that its your graphics card. Is it under warranty atm?

Thanks, that's a nice program. I'm still under manufacturers warranty yes, but I already had it replaced once and they said there was no problem with it. Think I should still try to return the piece?

Sound Card: "Sound Blaster X-Fi"

Go to Control Panel, Administration Tools, Event Viewer, and check out all logs; if there is something with Red/ or Yellow flags see its Event ID and other details and paste them here.

Also its worth checking the out put of your PSU with a multimeter.

And How many beeps are you hearing upon such crashes

I open the "Event Viewer". I click "Administrative Events" in the top left panel.

I've got loads of "Warning" & "Error" which some "critical" about. Yesterday I crashed 3 times so I'll try for that time period:
The warnings are just websites failing to open it seems. Thereafter:

(ERROR)The previous system shutdown at 16:11:34 on ‎12/‎02/‎2010 was unexpected.
(CRITICAL)The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
(ERROR)The previous system shutdown at 16:42:37 on ‎12/‎02/‎2010 was unexpected.
(CRITICAL)The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
(ERROR)Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0

Now looking a day earlier (I don't remember any crashes that day) are some errors that look concerning to me - but I have no clue:

(ERROR)The following fatal alert was generated: 10. The internal error state is 10.

This happens six times in a row at the times of: 18:23:31; 18:23:34; 18:23:59; 18:24:03; 18:55:35 and 18:56:03.
User: System Source: Schannel Event ID: 36888 Task Category: None

P.S. I never hear any beeps when it crashes. The audio continues as if normal for a few seconds and then it all contorts and becomes a loop. In case it helps you understand, sometimes if I'm speaking with friends online at the time, I can still speak to them and hear them for a few seconds.

Thanks, but will this work seen as though 2 of the games are offline-only? They can't have been affected by ports right?
Otherwise I have no idea what the nature of this evil Schannel thing is, but I'll follow the post #5 advice.

Going to have to wait a few days before I can try it though and then I'll report the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back