Crypto enthusiast installs mining rig in BMW's trunk "to annoy gamers"

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: In what can only be described as a surefire tactic to tick off the PC gaming community, one cryptocurrency enthusiast has taken the idea of mobile mining to a whole new level by installing a mobile mining farm in the trunk of his car.

Tom’s Hardware has shared photos from an individual named Simon Byrne. According to the publication and as illustrated in the images, Byrne created a miniature cryptocurrency mining rig in the back of his BMW i8 hybrid sports car consisting of six Nvidia RTX 3080 graphics cards.

When asked if the setup was real, Byrne reportedly told the publication that he made it himself “just to annoy gamers.”

The BMW’s internal battery pack is said to have more than enough juice to power the six GPU setup.

While it’s neat to look at, the setup isn’t terribly practical for actually mining cryptocurrency. Due to the enormous amount of heat generated by the GPUs, the vehicle’s rear hatch must remain open in order for the rig to avoid overheating. It would also likely encounter cooling issues during warm summer months.

One has to also surmise that the risk of theft is high. Advertising six in-demand GPUs that are still commanding a premium on third-party marketplaces like eBay in the back of your car is just asking for someone to commit a smash and grab.

Masthead credit Johnnie Rik

Permalink to story.

I think gamers should get together, and "annoy" this worthless graphic cards hogger.

I'd say that to see his car burnt to the ground would bring happiness to many people.

Why would gamers get angry at him? He's not at fault: It's Nvidia and AMD that are making a killing and have so far refused to at least ATTEMPT to control the situation by developing a bios that detects and kills heavy compute use outside of white listed applications.

Yes yes yes, I know it wouldn't work fail proof but they could spend some time trying to develop cards that ONLY work for gaming and not compute at all and let workstation and miners get the rest. Then they can just allocate whatever they want to miners. Hell they can even make it 80 or 90% of their stock of chips if they want to but to just pretend nothing is happening or that they have no control and no way of fixing it while quietly getting rich by clearing inventory of even 2060s they're bringing back for miners is just trusting the good faith of gamers a bit much.

Truth of the matter is that they're happy to be super profitable while scumbags push carbon emissions through the roof for a pointless fiat currency that's basically there mostly just to launder money from criminals anyway, dirty business in about as many angles as you can think of.

Why would gamers get angry at him? He's not at fault: It's Nvidia and AMD that are making a killing and have so far refused to at least ATTEMPT to control the situation by developing a bios that detects and kills heavy compute use outside of white listed applications.

Yes yes yes, I know it wouldn't work fail proof but they could spend some time trying to develop cards that ONLY work for gaming and not compute at all and let workstation and miners get the rest. Then they can just allocate whatever they want to miners. Hell they can even make it 80 or 90% of their stock of chips if they want to but to just pretend nothing is happening or that they have no control and no way of fixing it while quietly getting rich by clearing inventory of even 2060s they're bringing back for miners is just trusting the good faith of gamers a bit much.

Truth of the matter is that they're happy to be super profitable while scumbags push carbon emissions through the roof for a pointless fiat currency that's basically there mostly just to launder money from criminals anyway, dirty business in about as many angles as you can think of.
You actually think this would work? You think they could actually do this with LESS backlash then what they are receiving now? Cause I'm thinking I want to both have my card and own it too. If Nvidia starts controlling what people do with their cards, you are talking a very slippery slope.

Back