Crysis 2 PC multiplayer demo now available

Jos

Staff

Update: In an interesting bit of related news, Sweclockers reports that Nvidia disclosed in a press event today that Crysis 2 will only ship with a DirectX 9 renderer later this month, and that DX11 support would be added to the game later down the road via a patch.

As promised, Crytek and Electronic Arts have finally released a PC version of the Crysis 2 multiplayer demo that will give fans of the first-person shooter title a taste of what CryEngine 3 has to offer on state of the art hardware. Just like the previously exclusive Xbox 360 demo, this release includes two maps and two game modes for users to try out.

The first map, Skyline, is set along New York rooftops and is playable in Team Deathmatch. The second, Pier 17, is a more open map that's playable in Crash Site mode -- a variant of King of the Hill where you will fight for control of alien drop pods and rack up points in the process. The 1.6GB download can be picked up from our download section.

The full Crysis 2 multiplayer will include six gameplay modes: Instant Action, Team Instant Action, Crash Site, Capture the Relay, Extraction and Assault, set across 12 maps in Crytek’s recreation of the New York City, featuring a 50-level progression system and unlockable Nanosuit upgrades. The game will be hitting PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 platforms on March 22 for U.S. gamers, then a few days following on March 25 for European residents.

Permalink to story.

For anybody wondering, I get 70-100fps on the skyline map and 60-85fps on the pier in 1080p on hardcore settings on a GTX 580 OC to 872/2200. CPU Utilization on an AMD 965 3.8ghz is around 70%. I have to say it's coded a lot better than the original Crysis. Then again this is only a DX9 demo.

burty117 said:
Yes yes YES!!!! Downloading now! :) thanks for the info Sarcasm! :)

It's honestly not a great game. Its got such a CoD atmosphere that it doesn't feel anything like the original.

sarcasm said:
For anybody wondering, I get 70-100fps on the skyline map and 60-85fps on the pier in 1080p on hardcore settings on a GTX 580 OC to 872/2200. CPU Utilization on an AMD 965 3.8ghz is around 70%. I have to say it's coded a lot better than the original Crysis. Then again this is only a DX9 demo.

Is CryEngine 3 a DX11 engine, or will they only release a DX10 version when the game ships? Btw, nice fps.

I cannot create an account ... the most anticipated game of the year cant accomodate demand ... this is stupid and for gods sake why gamespy ...we in 2011

Princeton said:
It's honestly not a great game. Its got such a CoD atmosphere that it doesn't feel anything like the original.

Well I guess i'll be the Judge of that! :) downloading at 2.11mb only 5 minutes left! although this isn't the story mode so I can only comment on the multiplayer when I get home tonight.

lawfer said:
Is CryEngine 3 a DX11 engine, or will they only release a DX10 version when the game ships? Btw, nice fps.

According to the Nvidia Website Crysis 2 is DX11 and has the full ability to do Tessellation which is only available if you have a Geforce 400 serise or higher GPU.

I reckon on the actual release we'll get more options to fine tune the graphics the the card being used. As what dcrosenthal said, I bet when a better card is in the computer the game will up the graphics or give more options to fine tune. I am planning to get a Geforce GTX 570 if my GTX 260 can't run it at full at 1080p resolution.

Woohoo! Downloading as soon as I get home from work! We'll see how my GTX 260 still holds up.

Gonna see how my GTX280 holds up to it... Downloading now, though getting rather annoyed at sub 1Mbps speeds everywhere! :(

Id hardly say sub 1000kbps was a bad speed leeky, id be chuffed if mine was that fast. :p
Been waiting for this soo long, my social life is definitely gonna take another hit. :p

Id hardly say sub 1000kbps was a bad speed leeky, id be chuffed if mine was that fast. :p
Been waiting for this soo long, my social life is definitely gonna take another hit. :p

I average 6.5Mbps, so a tad irritating tbh! :haha:

We might all be fortunate this time and have a game that "some" people can actually play - this time around technology is ahead of the game. :D

lawfer said:
sarcasm said:

Yes it is a DX11 game, but we are yet to see what they actually implemented for the final version. This MP Demo is only DX9 is what I meant. :)

Leeky said:
Gonna see how my GTX280 holds up to it... Downloading now, though getting rather annoyed at sub 1Mbps speeds everywhere! :(

I think you'll do just fine with a GTX 280. This game is either

1. Less demanding than the original due to certain cutbacks (less foliage comes to mind)

or

2. Much more optimized than the original.

I'm leaning towards the latter because on my OC'd GTX580 I get 90-98% GPU Utilization and no less than 60-70% CPU Utilization. The Crysis for me was all over the place with as little as 20% CPU Utilization and 30-60% GPU Utilization and only 100% GPU Utilization in boss fights. Crysis Warhead was a little better.

Either way, I think they've learned their lesson to make this game able to run on more lower to mid end setups which of course we know will equal more sales.

As for the game itself, I think it's a hit or miss for most people. However I'm enjoying it a lot myself and although I agree with Princeton that it does have a COD feel to it, IMO the nano suit and map layout makes it feel different enough.

I'm getting 40-50FPS at 1080p set to "advanced" on my 8800GT, I'm sure no one will be disappointed.

23 facepunchers have cancelled their pre-orders since the demo release. I'm dead ****ing serious.

I can't even log in to the stupid system. Crytek has done an incredible job at ****ing up the release of the demo. They wait until post release to start making changes to their infrastructure? "Oh we had no idea the load will be so severe." - get the **** out. What the hell are beta tests for if not stress-testing. On the login screen, after clicking Login, I just get an error saying theres a problem with my internet connection... yet Im posting this, it must be magic. Horrible job Crytek, horrible. You say you're putting PC Gamers in the front and then this bull****? Stupid console version demos didn't have this problem... way to go, thanks for showing us which platforms in fact are the priority.

@ElShotte
Create a new account. worked for me.

Only bug i seen: sometimes I cant move forward and have to do a 180 turn then walk backwards before i can move forward again. :(

Can play on Hardcore with Vsync on with two 6950's.

Princeton said:
23 facepunchers have cancelled their pre-orders since the demo release. I'm dead ****ing serious.

I agree with Leeky, just because you don't like it doesn't mean the rest of us don't.

I just played it and the graphics are really good except for water which seems to have lost alot of the edge and realism of the orginal Crysis. Needless to say I'm loving the Nanosuit 2! much better than the old one! :) looking forward to the story if anything! it is going to be epic!

Cant open demo

I downloaded the demo, i installed it, extracted, and accepted all the agreements. I got to the last page that said finished downloaded, i clicked ok but nothing opened, i tried reinstalling but nothing opened again. When i find the file on my comp, it just reinstalls. How do i open up the demo?

Princeton said:

I doubt that's much skin off of Crytek's nose. I'm sure the demo has only increased pre-orders, and I hope it has as that's good for PC gaming.

CoD is popular, so I'm sure this game would be up a lot of people's alleys. Not sure I'm as enthusiastic, though.

Back