Crytek makes CryEngine available to all with subscription model

Shawn Knight

Staff member

crytek

It turns out that Epic Games may have created an entirely new way into the market for professional and aspiring game developers alike when they made Unreal Engine 4 available to all via an affordable monthly subscription model earlier this year.

Crytek is now following suit by making its CryEngine technology available to anyone willing to sign up for one of three subscription models. Interested parties can pay $9.90 on a month-to-month basis, $9 flat each month for a three month commitment or $8.33 each month for those wanting to sign up for at least six months.

Each subscription includes full access to the latest build of the CryEngine and you’ll even receive notifications regarding updates as well as instant access to graphical features and tools. Access is granted over Valve’s Steam network and best yet, there’s no royalty cut as with the deal from Epic Games so anything you earn from your CryEngine-created game is yours to keep.

The CryEngine has a storied past right up there with the Unreal Engine, having been responsible for games like Far Cry, Crysis, Ryse: Son of Rome and the upcoming title Evolve.

If you haven't noticed, you no longer have to be a professional developer to hammer out a quality game. The influx of mobile gaming, indie developers and crowd-funding campaigns has ensured that pretty much anyone that wants to make a game can do so. The latest moves by Epic Games and Crytek only help to further this paradigm shift.

Permalink to story.

I don't think it will work, Crytek, as it takes a bit more than just making your engine publicly available and cheap.

The idea behind Unreal 4 is all about making it a platform for third-party developers, that's why at the very core is a set of the most comprehensive tools for game developers, something Crytek cannot offer.

There are many videos out there that show how it works. Here's just one of them:

I don't agree with you VitalyT. I think it is a nice step towards "something". Offcourse it will not just start beating the crap out of the unreal engine for many reasons. However I think it is a great opportunity for developer who likes the Far Cry settings and stuff and for developers with a small budget. I'm looking at a smaller picture. Looking at the big picture will have no use at this point.

Back