Cyberpunk 2077 comedy bug reels created by CD Projekt before release leak online

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Cyberpunk 2077 comedy bug montage videos are nothing new. YouTube has been packed with them since the game's release in December, but the ones that have just leaked online come with a unique characteristic: they were created by developer CD Projekt Red before Cyberpunk 2077 launched.

As reported by VGC, the videos (some parts are NSFW) appear to have been part of the leaks resulting from a ransomware attack on CD Projekt earlier this year. Those leaks are also said to have included source code for Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

It's speculated that the footage may have been intended as bonus content for the final game but was pulled before release, probably because the devs, who are still working to fix many of Cyberpunk 2077's bugs seven months later, knew it would arrive with issues—just playing the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions can often feel like an interactive bug reel.

CDPR producer Slava Lukyanenka confirmed in a now-deleted tweet that the leak is real, describing the videos as "a fun composition of bug materials collected by QA and developers through years of development."

You might remember how, back in January, CD Projekt co-founder Marcin Iwiński in an apology video said CDPR's testing didn't show many of Cyberpunk 2077's problems experienced by players, and that the company believed a day zero patch would address any issues—statements that raised plenty of eyebrows. Perhaps removing the bug reel as bonus content, if that's what really happened, is further evidence the team knew its RPG would launch with a multitude of problems, especially on consoles.

Despite the videos being created as a bit of fun, it's still a bad look for CD Projekt, which is dealing with a class-action lawsuit from investors who claim it broke the law by not informing them what shape the game was in before release.

Permalink to story.

I downloaded and played Cyberpunk on release night.

I made a full playthrough video (Streetkid) of my first playthrough.

With the exception of a few "t-posed" NPC, I experienced absolutely no "game breaking bugs" whatsoever - while playing in the highest graphics settings using a Core i9 Extreme, 3090, 32GB DDR4 and an 8TB SSD.

It was only after a few days, after my first playthrough and a few patches, that I did start experiencing bugs.

#1 the game wouldn't always shutdown properly without thinking there was an error.
#2 Music in some spots would play when it shouldn't - and loop.
#3 A few crashes.

I did a second playthrough (Corpo) and for the most part the game was working fine.

Long story short: this game was NEVER gonna work on PS4 or Xbox or anything with a regular Hard Drive. It also wasn't gonna look good without an RTX 2080Ti or 3000 series GPU.

Back