Daylight will use Unreal Engine 4, procedurally-generated maps

Julio Franco

Staff member

Independent game developer Zombie Studios officially announced their next big project called Daylight during the DICE summit last week. So far, so good, but the really interesting side of the story is that Daylight will use Epic's Unreal Engine 4 and leverage the engine's dynamic lighting and blueprint features that allow for procedurally-generated world maps.

In other words, different gamers will see a different world environment, and according to Zombie, this will also encourage users to replay to discover more of the game's story.

daylight unreal engine development unreal engine 4

Daylight is a horror game first and foremost. The player is dropped into a dark asylum that is more like a giant in-door puzzle. No combat will be involved, but users will have to run away from phantoms, using only a cell phone to light the darkest corridors and to aid you in navigating the building.

If parts of this remind you of Minecraft - even though this is not a sandbox by any means - it's no coincidence. Creative designer, Jared Gerritzen referred to the changing game world as the next-generation of gaming.

Zombie is aiming to make of Daylight a successful series by launching the game this year, charging "$20 or less" for it, and anticipating the entire playthrough will take no more than 30 minutes to most gamers (sans repetition). Subsequent episodes are planned, we assume depending on how well the first episode is received during 2013.

Permalink to story.

TheBigFatClown, information on Zombie studios can be easily found by doing a simple google search. However, here you go. http://www.zombie.com/games

If it is within the price quoted in the article. I wouldn't mind picking it up and giving it a try. The procedurally-generated maps seem really interesting.

Played a game called amnesia yesterday for about an hour, sounds like this game, you have to keep lighting stuff like candles to keep your sanity and solve puzzles. Really dark and drab. A shadow follows you. Your in a old castle. I don't really dig puzzle games but this one seems nuts. First game that made me feel frightened since resident evil back on the old playstation in my early teens.

Amnesia doesn't have random dungeons like this game +1 for re-playability first brought on by diablo 1 from my recollection.

Let's hope they eradicated the texture pop in which was so pervasive in Unreal Engine 3 based games.

Back