Death Stranding leads the pack for 2019's Game Awards nominations

Humza

Staff member
In brief: With this year's end comes the sixth annual Game Awards to honor the best works in the video games industry.

Last year, God of War clinched the coveted GOTY award from Red Dead Redemption 2 (which arrived on PC this month), and four other highly praised titles. Though Rockstar's open-world western did win more awards than any other game across the event categories.

This year sees the famous Hideo Kojima's action/adventure 'Death Stranding' earn the most nominations across an impressive eight categories. These include Game of the Year, Best Game Direction, Best Narrative, Best Art Direction, Best Score/Music, Best Audio Design, Best Action/Adventure and three nominations in the Best Performance category.

Other favorites include Remedy Entertainment's 'Control' with 8 nominations and Obsidian's 'The Outer Worlds,' which got 4 nods, including Best Narrative and Best RPG. Both games will be competing for GOTY with Death Stranding and three other heavyweights.

The Game Awards 2019 has over 20 major categories, which can be seen in full in the video above or on the show's website. A few of these are listed below:

Game of the Year

• Control (Remedy/505 Games)
  • Death Stranding (Kojima Productions/SIE)
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Bandai-Namco/Sora/Nintendo)
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake (Capcom/Capcom)
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (FromSoftware/Activision)
  • The Outer Worlds (Obsidian/Private Division)

Best Game Direction

• Control (Remedy/505 Games)
  • Resident Evil 2 (Capcom/Capcom)
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (FromSoftware/Activision)
  • Outer Wilds (Mobius Digital/Annapurna)

Best Narrative

• A Plague Tale: Innocence (Asobo/Focus Home)
  • Control (Remedy/505)
  • Disco Elysium (ZA/UM)
  • The Outer Worlds (Obsidian/Private Division)

Best Ongoing Game

• Apex Legends (Respawn)
  • Destiny 2 (Bungie)
  • Final Fantasy XIV (Square Enix)
  • Fortnite (Epic Games)
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft)

Best Independent Game

• Baba Is You (Hempuli)
  • Disco Elysium (ZA/UM)
  • Katana ZERO (Askiisoft/Devoler)
  • Outer Wilds (Mobius Digital/Annapurna)
  • Untitled Goose Game (House House/Panic)

As always, gamers interested in casting a vote for their favorite game can head over to the Game Awards' official website or do it more conveniently this time by simply typing 'The Game Awards Vote' in the Google search bar with their Google Account signed-in.

The show will go live on December 12, 2019, from the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles and will be hosted by its creator, Geoff Keighly.

Permalink to story.

So many great games that could have been in the list yet they decide to put a walking simulator in there instead. SMH

The Dorito Pope has a fawning adoration for that over-hyped hipster, and will probably give him multiple awards regardless of voting results internally lol.

Actually, I do not care about Kojima and stuff, never was a fan of MGS, but Death Stranding is an excellent story and addicting game play. Calling it a walking simulator is like calling Halo a duck hunt game.

Of course they like the walking simulator. They like the politics behind the game...

Oh gee, how predictable..

The critics love for kojima, a legend in his own mind, has no limits it seems.

He's made a unique, artful game. This tends to provoke a love it / hate it response in a portion of the players. Games that push artistic side of a game tend to be recognized for awards.

Last edited:
I haven’t played walking simulator since I have no money, but I might vote for it

Of course they like the walking simulator. They like the politics behind the game...

what Politics are behind the game? I'm currently about 35 hours into the game and am unsure what you're getting at here.

what Politics are behind the game? I'm currently about 35 hours into the game and am unsure what you're getting at here.

I wouldn't say it's political. Maybe he meant the politics as in the general pretentious theme of "gamers don't understand true art" that a lot of reviews/Kojima keep bringing up. I think that's rich coming from the guy who brought us the clusterf*ck of Metal Gear story lines.

It's literally a walking simulator of a Black Mirror episode. "What if people weren't connected anymore". Seems like it would make a masterpiece of a movie, but is unfortunately tied to a horrible gameplay loop. More power to you if you're enjoying it, but it was an absolute slog of boredom for the 6 hours I played before giving up.

Just google "death stranding politics". It'll be obvious.

Okay that was pretty clear cut. Thanks for the recommendation. Sorry it triggers you, I can see the connection.

I wouldn't say it's political. Maybe he meant the politics as in the general pretentious theme of "gamers don't understand true art" that a lot of reviews/Kojima keep bringing up. I think that's rich coming from the guy who brought us the clusterf*ck of Metal Gear story lines.

It's literally a walking simulator of a Black Mirror episode. "What if people weren't connected anymore". Seems like it would make a masterpiece of a movie, but is unfortunately tied to a horrible gameplay loop. More power to you if you're enjoying it, but it was an absolute slog of boredom for the 6 hours I played before giving up.

yeah it's surely not for everyone. I find the gameplay loop to be rather enjoyable especially once connecting cities to the Chiral network. The writing isnt perfect, but I'm still interested in seeing whats to come.

Okay that was pretty clear cut. Thanks for the recommendation. Sorry it triggers you, I can see the connection.
...Trigger? Did you just assume my state of mind?!?
Lol all I'm saying is that the people who love patting themselves on the back with these awards love this kind of message.

It could be about anything else and I'd still see the gameplay as boring/tedious. Right now I have Jedi Fallen Order and there's some good gameplay (minus some of the rough edges).

Back