Deep-fried graphene could be the key to long-lasting batteries

Shawn Knight

Staff member

deep-fried research battery science graphene battery technology deep-fried graphene graphene pom-poms electrodes

Researchers at Yonsei University in Seoul, South Korea, have developed a new method of treating graphene that could lead to smaller and more efficient batteries.

Graphene is the most conductive material known to man but its thin and flat nature limits its surface area. That’s a problem when it comes to battery power as you want as much surface area as possible. The solution is to somehow create more surface area which is exactly what the South Korean researchers have done.

By using an ultrasonic nozzle, the researchers were able to create microdroplets of graphene oxide. These microdroplets were then dropped into a piping hot (160 C) mixture of organic solvent and reducing agent, much like one would dip chicken into hot oil to create deep-fried chicken.

This process extracts the graphene out from the center of the microdroplets to create three-dimensional graphene pom-poms with a wealth of surface area that’s ripe for battery applications. Early testing shows promise as the graphene pom-poms performed better as electrodes compared to regular sheets of graphene.

It’s worth pointing out that this isn’t the first time someone has come up with a method to create 3D graphene. What’s noteworthy about this technique, however, is the fact that it’s much easier to replicate on a large scale meaning mass production for use in consumer goods would be much more feasible.

While it’ll still be a while before graphene is powering our gadgets and electric cars, this breakthrough certainly puts us one step closer to that reality.

Permalink to story.

Yeah yeah, another breakthrough in battery tech. I've read about so many breakthroughs in battery tech it's just not funny. I guess 80 years from now there could be a revolution in batteries but unfortunately I won't be around to see it.

I thought everyone knew that everything is better deep fried.
hit it with a bit of bacon and I'm sure it would be better yet.

No kidding... here in Wisconsin we deep fry everything at the State Fair. Oreos, donuts, bananas, and yes, bacon... I'll have to be on the lookout for the graphene stand next Aug. :)

If they could just fix unnecessary power consumptions that costs most people 80% of their batteries it would be less required to see long-lasting batteries because the current batteries would be long lasting batteries.

No kidding... here in Wisconsin we deep fry everything at the State Fair. Oreos, donuts, bananas, and yes, bacon... I'll have to be on the lookout for the graphene stand next Aug. :)

Surprised that this is not a Scottish discovery, after all the town not far from me is the home of the deep fried mars bar. I even found a Fish and Chip shop doing a deep fried Cadbury's Creme Egg!

Another technology that consumers will never see in the current generations lifetime.
Yeah yeah, another breakthrough in battery tech. I've read about so many breakthroughs in battery tech it's just not funny. I guess 80 years from now there could be a revolution in batteries but unfortunately I won't be around to see it.
What you two are failing to acknowledge is, you're already in the middle of an advanced age of battery development.

For the most part, the current generation has never had to deal with a situation where carbon-zinc flashlight batteries, (AKA, 'dry cells'), were truly the only thing available. In fact, you had to buy 90 volt (!) dry cell batteries, to power your vacuum tube (!) portable radio.

Automotive "low maintenance" were batteries accomplished by a simple change of the plate formers from cadmium (?), to calcium. When that was done, the batteries stopped gassing when charging, water didn't evaporate, and now you can leave a battery in your car for practically its entire life, without ever checking the water! (seriously)

And this generation's windfall of Ni-Mh rechargeable, along with Lithium-Ion batteries, would have been a pipe dream a couple of decades ago.

Those of you who have had to deal with Ni-Cad rechargeables will know exactly what I'm talking about. They developed a 'memory', which meant if you only discharged them halfway, after a while, they would only have half their rated capacity.. If you allowed them to discharge completely, they were ruined.

Back in the day, Ni-cads were all we had for radio control aircraft, a very critical application. As a result, the batteries had to have a controlled discharge device to 'cycle' them, so as to avoid the memory issues. Beyond that, you needed specialized delta peak pulse chargers, which would actually burn through the capacity robbing and/or life ending, short circuits, that developed in them.

So, while it's nice to bellyache about what we don't have yet, it's not a bad idea to take stock of what we do. Then too, "man's reach always exceeds his grasp", especially where battery technology is concerned.

Although granted, it would be nice if we had a mini-singularities to power our cell phones, then we'd never, ever, have to shut our mouths!(y)

Last edited:
What you two are failing to acknowledge is, you're already in the middle of an advanced age of battery development.

For the most part, the current generation has never had to deal with a situation where carbon-zinc flashlight batteries, (AKA, 'dry cells'), were truly the only thing available. In fact, you had to buy 90 volt (!) dry cell batteries, to power your vacuum tube (!) portable radio.

Automotive "low maintenance" were batteries accomplished by a simple change of the plate formers from cadmium (?), to calcium. When that was done, the batteries stopped gassing when charging, water didn't evaporate, and now you can leave a battery in your car for practically its entire life, without ever checking the water! (seriously)

And this generation's windfall of Ni-Mh rechargeable, along with Lithium-Ion batteries, would have been a pipe dream a couple of decades ago.

Those of you who have had to deal with Ni-Cad rechargeables will know exactly what I'm talking about. They developed a 'memory', which meant if you only discharged them halfway, after a while, they would only have half their rated capacity.. If you allowed them to discharge completely, they were ruined.

Back in the day, Ni-cads were all we had for radio control aircraft, a very critical application. As a result, the batteries had to have a controlled discharge device to 'cycle' them, so as to avoid the memory issues. Beyond that, you needed specialized delta peak pulse chargers, which would actually burn through the capacity robbing and/or life ending, short circuits, that developed in them.

So, while it's nice to bellyache about what we don't have yet, it's not a bad idea to take stock of what we do. Then too, "man's reach always exceeds his grasp", especially where battery technology is concerned.

Although granted, it would be nice if we had a mini-singularities to power our cell phones, then we'd never, ever, have to shut our mouths!(y)
Yeah I remember the days of dry cells, a potato with electrodes etc. but remember we never relied as heavily on battery power as we do nowadays. All we really needed batteries for were our portable transistor radios and torches/flashlights and the occasional battery powered toy.

Back