Defrag Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

vale46

Defrag Wont Schedule

Hi all,

I want to make my defrag run on a shedule as recomended, so i set it to do this at 4pm everyday so when i get in from work my pc is at its optimum for me to start my hobbly of 3D modeling with 3DsMAX

Trouble is even though this is set, it tells me that the next schedule run is set to never, and sure enough if i sit and watch it at 4pm nothing happens !!??? unless i manually start it, so whats the point in setting the schedule ?

How can i automate this ?

Thanks for any ideas,

Vale.

Hi all,

I want to make my defrag run on a shedule as recomended, so i set it to do this at 4pm everyday so when i get in from work my pc is at its optimum for me to start my hobbly of 3D modeling with 3DsMAX

Trouble is even though this is set, it tells me that the next schedule run is set to never, and sure enough if i sit and watch it at 4pm nothing happens !!??? unless i manually start it, so whats the point in setting the schedule ?

How can i automate this ?

Thanks for any ideas,

Vale.

Vista defrags at specified schedule on low priority in the bakground. Its slow and doesnt have a graphic display so you cant see the defrag progress as in the XP defragmenter.
To automate defrag and have a GUI, you could opt for a third party tool. I've been using Diskeeper. Set it to run in the background and go about your work. There is a free 30 day trial, but after that you will have to purchase it.

not if i'm at work .!!!!!!!! puter never gets turned off and is always working hard rendering and downloading so it cant do it any harm can it !!!

Defragging every day is overkill!
Vista already is set to Defrag everyday - as stated earlier

Also I notice vale46 you went to one of my old forums I helped on
I left supporting in that forum due to restrictions of what I was allowed to say to help new members.
TechSpot is a lot more open to support actually supporting

Oh just found out, they removed my membership name kimsland
Only reference is here: http://www.techsupportforum.com/1240664-post3.html
This is because I got into a big debate with site Admins about me not being able to support others
And now I find out they removed my membership with thousand posts, how rude !

Thanks for the input Kimsland, i tend to find that i try a few forums cos sometimes nobody has an answer, as far as vista defraggin on a daily basis is concerend, how come if i select defrag and vista tells me my system is good and doesnt need defraggin, why does it take 9 and a half hours to defrag ??? and yet if i defrag every other day or so it takes 15mins ? what is good and what is excellent ? and indeed what is poor ?? sometimes windows can tell you a device is working properly when it so obviously needs driver updates or such !!!

Personally i dont believe anything windows tells me but what i do know is this, my PC opens programs quicker and responds quicker if i defrag more often, and as i am at work while this is happening i dont see that as overkill, also when i asked how do i set the schedule to run nobody really knew did they !!?? my only advice was a third party program, where as i got a straight and direct answer from the link in my previous post.

Again i would like to thank all your inputs as there is always another idea or point of view.

Kindest regards, Vale.

P.S. it was rude of them by the way.

also when i asked how do i set the schedule to run nobody really knew did they !!?? my only advice was a third party program
Not true, I answered correctly in Post#2

By the way, I understand that manual Defragging can actually force a Defrag and then take time to complete. I agree that MS idea everything is running fine may not be true.

The reason why MS Vista allowed Defrag everyday (although not as full as a manual Defrag) is because they are not concerned if your Harddrive fails or not !! They are only concerned if Windows works properly.

Defragging your Harddrive (manually) everyday will put way too much strain on your Harddrive, possibly causing it to fail sooner than it normally would have

It is not advised to Defrag everyday
Actually the recommendation is "when needed" And a Vista popup will tell you this anyway

P.S Thanks, I had 1000+ posts

I didnt realise there was a hard drive possibility of failiure due to this.... !!!!!! thats a different story all to gather !!! thanks for the informative input, trully apppreciated !

Vale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back