Dell Alienware AW3225QF 32" Review: Curved 4K 240Hz QD-OLED

Looks good.

I look forward to the OLED Ultrawide refresh, with 3rd gen panels and 240 Hz.

Between all the various monitors I simply cannot understand these newer generation monitors, especially when you consider the costs ....

Unfortunately, can’t even order the Asus - it’s out of stock everywhere… I have the MSI on back order - hopefully get it by April… can’t do curve, and really want the KVM switch, so Dell was out of the running.

You don't understand image quality and motion clarity matters?
Compared to the MSI version though that is selling for $899 you aren't getting significant better of both for the $300+ delta premium that is asked by other 4k 240hz oleds.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-ma...port-hdmi-usb-c-black/6577227.p?skuId=6577227

Update you know what $300 premium gets for the Vendor paid trolls bashing the competition over an Update. 3 reviews in the link I sent back to back about the same thing.

Last edited:
Compared to the MSI version though that is selling for $899 you aren't getting significant better of both for the $300+ delta premium that is asked by other 4k 240hz oleds.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-ma...port-hdmi-usb-c-black/6577227.p?skuId=6577227

Update you know what $300 premium gets for the Vendor paid trolls bashing the competition over an Update. 3 reviews in the link I sent back to back about the same thing.
If you want curved... Alienware is the only way to go... also... if you want it NOW - Alienware is the only way to go... You can't actually buy the MSI or Asus right now... Of course, I assume this will change in the weeks to come.

Between all the various monitors I simply cannot understand these newer generation monitors, especially when you consider the costs ....
I don't understand what you don't understand.

It's fast 4K, bleeding edge, kinda, without DP 2.1.
It's 4K 240Hz OLED.... without DP 2.1
The next round when they use DP 2.1 is when to be interested. They are rather pricey currently. At this price I kinda expect it'd be GSync Ultimate instead of compatible. The last round of 240Hz OLEDs were 1440p screens. Jumping to 4K 240Hz is quite a jump compared to what we've been getting over the last 6-7 years.
They aren't for budget systems at all. There are affordable 1440p 240Hz IPS for the rest of us though. I feel like high frame rate 1440p gaming is just now becoming affordable for mainstream budgets so I imagine the 4K HFR screens will stay up in price for a while sadly.

The next round when they use DP 2.1 is when to be interested. They are rather pricey currently. At this price I kinda expect it'd be GSync Ultimate instead of compatible. The last round of 240Hz OLEDs were 1440p screens. Jumping to 4K 240Hz is quite a jump compared to what we've been getting over the last 6-7 years.
They aren't for budget systems at all. There are affordable 1440p 240Hz IPS for the rest of us though. I feel like high frame rate 1440p gaming is just now becoming affordable for mainstream budgets so I imagine the 4K HFR screens will stay up in price for a while sadly.
Not sure why you need DP 2.1? None of the current GPUs really support it, and DP1.4 is sufficient for 4k@240hz (as is HDMI 2.1)...

MAG series can't be firmware updated. That is why its cheaper. Tons of people cancelled their preorder because of this.

Last edited:

DP 2.1 don't matter for 4K/UHD 240Hz. Thats why they did not use it.

No GPUs have DP 2.1 UHBR20 anyway. AMD claim DP 2.1 support for Radeon 7000 series, but they don't have the full spec and don't support UHBR20 aka 80 Gbps. It was mostly marketing.

Eventually, DP 2.1 will matter, but only when it's UHBR20 and we get 360-480 Hz at 4K. Simply no need for DP 2.1 UHBR20 with 240 Hz.

RTX 5090 will be the first GPU to support DP 2.1 UHBR20 and eventually we will see 4K/UHD monitors with 360-480 with it too. They are not even close tho. 240 Hz OLED is plenty for 99.99% of people since motion clarity is next level compared to LCD monitors.

240 Hz OLED beats 360-480 Hz LCD when it comes to motion clarity, and which GPU you think will do 300-400 fps at 4K/UHD anyway? Outside of esport titles, and esport players don't use 4K to begin with. 4K is for AAA gaming and good luck getting 300-400 fps in demanding games here.

I'd just like to say this has been one of the best purchases I have ever made. Was worried with the price tag I'd have buyers remorse and prior to release I frequently went to best buy and computer shops just testing different OLED monitors. I'll be honest the prior version wasn't that impressed with the clarity and much preferred samsung. I really wanted 4k though and held out. Super impressed and glad I did. I have had zero I issues I have used both HDMI and DP with full 10 bit and 240 hz without any artifacts or issues. Its a perfect size and curve for me (couldn't do more extreme of a curve) in a perfect size.

Shocked to see this wasn't a 100 I honestly couldn't imagine anything being improved. So in conclusion anyone on the fence whether you do your research or pull the trigger I am positive you won't regret the buy unlesss you have a really fringe use like USB C or whatever it may be. I don't know if it is true I heard burn in covered by dell warranty but not best buy or other stores online. It requires the dell one so something to consider or check if is true. Also if using american express or perks at work id.me etc. they often have like a 10 percent off or more type of thing for dell another thing to look into.

I think more than any other upgrade I "feel" this upgrade more when playing any game or using any program it delivers big time.

MAG series can't be firmware updated. That is why its cheaper. Tons of people cancelled their preorder because of this.
Sure but if the monitor is great out the box then the $300 premium is just pure trolling. How often do you personally update your monitors firmware? Besides my CX oled that is a smart TV and still get updates to this day, I have never updated my previous monitor's firmware. If I was shopping for a monitor today the MAG by MSI would probably be the monitor I purchase especially for the price. Also there is no way to know factually how many canceled preorders besides online trolls claiming they did. One thing I learned about social media is that it can be used to manipulate the market from, bot accounts, paid trolls, etc; to create an echochamber of mass hysteria. The sheep will follow by default.

I'd just like to say this has been one of the best purchases I have ever made. Was worried with the price tag I'd have buyers remorse and prior to release I frequently went to best buy and computer shops just testing different OLED monitors. I'll be honest the prior version wasn't that impressed with the clarity and much preferred samsung. I really wanted 4k though and held out. Super impressed and glad I did. I have had zero I issues I have used both HDMI and DP with full 10 bit and 240 hz without any artifacts or issues. Its a perfect size and curve for me (couldn't do more extreme of a curve) in a perfect size.

Shocked to see this wasn't a 100 I honestly couldn't imagine anything being improved. So in conclusion anyone on the fence whether you do your research or pull the trigger I am positive you won't regret the buy unlesss you have a really fringe use like USB C or whatever it may be. I don't know if it is true I heard burn in covered by dell warranty but not best buy or other stores online. It requires the dell one so something to consider or check if is true. Also if using american express or perks at work id.me etc. they often have like a 10 percent off or more type of thing for dell another thing to look into.

I think more than any other upgrade I "feel" this upgrade more when playing any game or using any program it delivers big time.
Remember to update firmware and disable Dolby Vision as Windows don't work correcly with DV. Several videos on the subject on YT.

And this is why firmware should not be locked down like MSI MAG series (or most of them) especially not on high-end monitors with tons of features and VRR.

Dell learned this from AW3423DW, tons of issues that needed fixing with firmware (terrible HDR using AMD GPUs for example). DWF version sold much better and could be updated on the spot.

Great monitor no doubt. Yet some don't like the curve. 1500-1800R is generally okay for me. 800-1000R is bad. Hate it.

Sure but if the monitor is great out the box then the $300 premium is just pure trolling. How often do you personally update your monitors firmware? Besides my CX oled that is a smart TV and still get updates to this day, I have never updated my previous monitor's firmware. If I was shopping for a monitor today the MAG by MSI would probably be the monitor I purchase especially for the price. Also there is no way to know factually how many canceled preorders besides online trolls claiming they did. One thing I learned about social media is that it can be used to manipulate the market from, bot accounts, paid trolls, etc; to create an echochamber of mass hysteria. The sheep will follow by default.
Funny you think that MSI will nail a flawless firmware on launch. MSI is not even respected in the monitor market yet.

You must be new to OLED monitors if you think locked firmware is great. Dell issued tons of firmware updates that improved performance, HDR and VRR. Especially AMD cards had massive HDR problems.

They recieved tons of AW3423DW from RMA due to firmware issues.

MSI are usually not the best (or even close) when it comes to software and firmware. I highly doubt they will release a flawless firmware. Meaning people will need to RMA to fix flaws down the road. I would rather not save 300 dollars then. 300 dollars is nothing.

Yeah LG ****ed WebOS up lately. The full screen approach was a huge mistake. No-one likes it. Lets not speak about that. LG is loosing OLED marketshare as we speak. Samsung Display's QD-OLED took over in the high-end.

Once again - https://www.pcgamesn.com/msi/qd-oled-gaming-monitor-no-firmware-updates

People are cancelling for a reason. You might have low requirements, some of us have high demands for a high-end product and want firmware unlocked.

Lets see if MSI launches a MAG model with zero issues tho. Highly doubt it. This is not LCD with SDR focus, using 8bit + FRC at best. This is 2024, not 2014.

All OLEDs are true 10 bit, has proper HDR, tons of next gen features and VRR. No one has released a flawless firmware on day one yet but you think MSI will be the first to do it? :joy: Dell already put out several firmware fixes for AW3225QF, one being crucial.

Those MAG monitors have been packed up in boxes for months ahead of launch. They are probably using a rushed launch firmware and MSI will release a new revision down the road to fix issues and eating the returns. This is why price was dropped to 900 dollars when the others want 1200 dollars.

Last edited:
Funny you think that MSI will nail a flawless firmware on launch. MSI is not even respected in the monitor market yet.

You must be new to OLED monitors if you think locked firmware is great. Dell issued tons of firmware updates that improved performance, HDR and VRR. Especially AMD cards had massive HDR problems.

They recieved tons of AW3423DW from RMA due to firmware issues.

MSI are usually not the best (or even close) when it comes to software and firmware. I highly doubt they will release a flawless firmware. Meaning people will need to RMA to fix flaws down the road. I would rather not save 300 dollars then. 300 dollars is nothing.

Yeah LG ****ed WebOS up lately. The full screen approach was a huge mistake. No-one likes it. Lets not speak about that. LG is loosing OLED marketshare as we speak. Samsung Display's QD-OLED took over in the high-end.

Once again - https://www.pcgamesn.com/msi/qd-oled-gaming-monitor-no-firmware-updates

People are cancelling for a reason. You might have low requirements, some of us have high demands for a high-end product and want firmware unlocked.

Lets see if MSI launches a MAG model with zero issues tho. Highly doubt it. This is not LCD with SDR focus, using 8bit + FRC at best. This is 2024, not 2014.

All OLEDs are true 10 bit, has proper HDR, tons of next gen features and VRR. No one has released a flawless firmware on day one yet but you think MSI will be the first to do it? :joy: Dell already put out several firmware fixes for AW3225QF, one being crucial.

Those MAG monitors have been packed up in boxes for months ahead of launch. They are probably using a rushed launch firmware and MSI will release a new revision down the road to fix issues and eating the returns. This is why price was dropped to 900 dollars when the others want 1200 dollars.
While the firmware might not be ideal. I trust Tim's recommendation for the out of box experience over mass hysteria over a nothing burger !
Competition must be a new concept for you. I on the other hand love the competition between Samsung and LG currently. When Tim reviewed the Alienware that you mentioned he did mention those flaws in his reviews as well, so there is that. Those shortcomings are reflected in his reviews. To summarize the firmware might not be ideal to your standards but for the rest of the enthusiast niche market it should be great enough 😎. Questions?

Our $1200 monitor is loaded with features and BTW, it's GLOSSY and prone to BURN-IN. But no worries, you can mitigate that by changing your lifestyle and the way you have used your computers your whole life. The Way It's Meant To Be Played!

This same monitor with DP 2.1 will probably be $1400

Not sure why you need DP 2.1? None of the current GPUs really support it, and DP1.4 is sufficient for 4k@240hz (as is HDMI 2.1)...
HDMI is trash.
DP 1.4a is only good for like 95Hz at 4K. Insufficient
HDMI 2.1 is like 150Hz at 4K. Not 240 Hz.
DP 2.1 is good for like 265Hz at 4K.

HDMI is for consoles, TVs and home theater. Not PCs.

I don't care if current GPUs don't support. Future ones will. Why not make a monitor that isn't absolutely outdated in terms of connectivity within 18 months when DP 2.1 has been finalized for a while now? Monitors tend to stay in use longer than a GPU and a single monitor may see multiple GPUs throughout its time served.
DP 2.1 don't matter for 4K/UHD 240Hz. Thats why they did not use it.

No GPUs have DP 2.1 UHBR20 anyway. AMD claim DP 2.1 support for Radeon 7000 series, but they don't have the full spec and don't support UHBR20 aka 80 Gbps. It was mostly marketing.

Eventually, DP 2.1 will matter, but only when it's UHBR20 and we get 360-480 Hz at 4K. Simply no need for DP 2.1 UHBR20 with 240 Hz.

RTX 5090 will be the first GPU to support DP 2.1 UHBR20 and eventually we will see 4K/UHD monitors with 360-480 with it too. They are not even close tho. 240 Hz OLED is plenty for 99.99% of people since motion clarity is next level compared to LCD monitors.

240 Hz OLED beats 360-480 Hz LCD when it comes to motion clarity, and which GPU you think will do 300-400 fps at 4K/UHD anyway? Outside of esport titles, and esport players don't use 4K to begin with. 4K is for AAA gaming and good luck getting 300-400 fps in demanding games here.
2.1 is good for 265Hz at 4K. Not 360Hz, Not 480Hz. I never mentioned trying to do 400fps at 4K, don't know why you mentioned that but E-sport players would absolutely use 4K if they got the exact same performance. It's less noisy, there's less motion distraction.
4K is for anybody that wants to use it. It's not for certain games or not, that just popular opinion nonsense.

Our $1200 monitor is loaded with features and BTW, it's GLOSSY and prone to BURN-IN. But no worries, you can mitigate that by changing your lifestyle and the way you have used your computers your whole life. The Way It's Meant To Be Played!
Both glossy ( ideal in dark room ) and matte ( ideal lit rooms with backlight) have their use case. The handful of modifications like using dark mode, hiding task menu, using screen saver/auto dim ( on my default by some oleds) are not too combusrome for the image quality/ response times/ input latency you can will experience with oled imo. For professionals, miniled is still the better choice.

HDMI is trash.
DP 1.4a is only good for like 95Hz at 4K. Insufficient
HDMI 2.1 is like 150Hz at 4K. Not 240 Hz.
DP 2.1 is good for like 265Hz at 4K.

HDMI is for consoles, TVs and home theater. Not PCs.

I don't care if current GPUs don't support. Future ones will. Why not make a monitor that isn't absolutely outdated in terms of connectivity within 18 months when DP 2.1 has been finalized for a while now? Monitors tend to stay in use longer than a GPU and a single monitor may see multiple GPUs throughout its time served.

2.1 is good for 265Hz at 4K. Not 360Hz, Not 480Hz. I never mentioned trying to do 400fps at 4K, don't know why you mentioned that but E-sport players would absolutely use 4K if they got the exact same performance. It's less noisy, there's less motion distraction.
4K is for anybody that wants to use it. It's not for certain games or not, that just popular opinion nonsense.
Since the monitor uses DSC, DP 1.4a will do 240hz @ 4k no problem...
And despite HDMI being trash (source please?), it will also fully support 4k @ 240hz...

Since the monitor uses DSC, DP 1.4a will do 240hz @ 4k no problem...
And despite HDMI being trash (source please?), it will also fully support 4k @ 240hz...
DSC isn't a miracle, everyone acts like it's just some feature you can use to compress your data stream by over half and nothing happens.

I've had experience with 1440p 240Hz monitors switching to 4K 120Hz because it thinks a console is plugged in when because HDMI. It's not the fault of HDMI itself but the monitor manufacturer for keeping that feature of HDMI included at all. Had to delete literal "TV Resolutions" from the monitor. HDMI is for TVs, consoles and home theater setups. The connectors don't lock. There's royalties.

I'll rewrite that first part you wrote for you.
"Since the monitor has a problem with 4K 240Hz with DP 1.4a, it needs to use DSC." This would compress over half of your data stream. HDMI 2.1 is under half but it's still a lot.

Back