Dell announces Inspiron Chromebook 14 2-in-1 with Core i3 CPU, aluminum chassis and more

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Chromebooks across the board are growing up, graduating from entry-level devices intended for the education market to premium offerings with respectable specifications. They're more expensive, sure, but not like Google's wallet-busting Pixelbook.

Dell ahead of the annual IFA trade show in Berlin has announced its first premium consumer Chromebook.

The Dell Inspiron Chromebook 14 2-in-1 is constructed of aluminum, not plastic, and sports a 14-inch FHD (1,920 x 1,080) IPS touch-enabled display. It’s powered by an 8th generation Intel Core i3-8130U CPU, 4GB of onboard DDR4 memory, Intel UHD Graphics 620 and up to 128GB of eMMC storage. It comes standard with a backlit keyboard and a 4-cell, 56 WHr battery that’s reportedly good for up to 15 hours* of runtime on a full charge.

Dell’s press release lists battery life at up to 15 hours although in its fact sheet, battery life is said to be “up to 10 hours.”

Other goodies include two USB 3.1 Type-C ports, a single USB 3.1 Type-A connector, a microSD card reader, a combination headphone / microphone jack, 802.11 ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity. You also get an EMR pen (stylus) that stows away in the Chromebook, making it that much harder to misplace.

Dell’s Inspiron Chromebook 2-in-1 launches on October 23 starting at $599. IFA 2018 officially kicks off on August 31 and runs through September 5.

Permalink to story.

So far chromebooks have been pretty much garbage, as are most of the 32GB netbooks.

If people would just quit buying them...

Before you ask what difference it makes to me. Well, I do pc repair, and sales. So, I have to deal with used computers quite often. Actually, none of them are ever really new. lol

So far chromebooks have been pretty much garbage, as are most of the 32GB netbooks.

If people would just quit buying them...

Before you ask what difference it makes to me. Well, I do pc repair, and sales. So, I have to deal with used computers quite often. Actually, none of them are ever really new. lol
I contest. Typical $200 chromebooks are built a hell of a lot better then the netbooks of yore. Heck most $500 windows laptops are built worse then $200 chromebooks are.

The acer C771, the dell and lenovo education chromebooks, the pixel books, those have all been great machines. Decent screens and touchpads, good durability, long battery life, near instant boot to desktop. Why would people stop buying them when $500 windows laptops are creaky, slow, and have worse screens and keyboards/touchpads?

Back