Dell Dimension 4550 Windows XP, no audio device found?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinister696

downloaded and installed the chipset, downloaded soundmax (R56339) and when it starts the installation it says "Driver not found! Reboot your system, and run this setup again." no audio device is found in the control panel ( it was working until my girlfriend installed a logitech webcam if that helps any) any help would be appreciated, tried downloading all kinds of drivers, nothing seems to work

that's Soundmax (R56339) it's what I have been trying to install and what gives me the error message from earlier, thanks though

Generate a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the reports. (If you don't see icon you may need to first cick Go Advanced)

/* EDIT */
While you're at it...
See if Windows reports any problem devices
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

msinfo32 ... when I type it in the run command I get "windows can not open help and support because a system service is not running. "

1) Click Control Panel->Sounds and Audio. Click Audio tab. Check the Sound Playback default device. I think it may be incorrect and should be set to your SB Live sound card

2) Your msinfo32 error is a different problem (i.e. not your sound problem) but you might also want to correct. Even though this link here is for Windows Server, i think the instructions should also work for XP

LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163 IDE\CDROMLITEON_DVD-ROM_LTD163___________________GDHF____\5&1DD1B184&0&0.0.0 39
SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-240B IDE\CDROMSAMSUNG_CD-R/RW_SW-240B_________________BD11____\5&1DD1B184&0&0.1.0 39

now that help works again (thanks btw) these were the only problem devices

Hmmm...

Well you certainly have some puzzling results.. First, here's what I see
  • Your Dxdiag.txt file indicates you have a Sound Blaster Live sound card (see snippet below)
    > When all's working correctly SB Live should be your default sound playback device
  • And your Problem Device report points to what looks like two different DVD/CD players
    > Do you also have DVD/CD player issues/not working??
    > And I'd expect error message text after each of those cryptic strings? Were there any?
    Code:
    <snip>
                Description: Creative SB Live! Series
     Default Sound Playback: No
     Default Voice Playback: No
                Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0006&SUBSYS_10031102&REV_00
            Manufacturer ID: 1
                 Product ID: 2
                       Type: WDM
                Driver Name: P16X.sys
             Driver Version: 5.12.0001.0203 (English)
          Driver Attributes: Final Retail
                WHQL Logo'd: Yes
              Date and Size: 9/22/2003 12:43:06, 1330048 bytes
                Other Files: 
            Driver Provider: Creative Technology Ltd.
    <snip>
Try the following (in the following order)
  1. Look for your sound card in Device Manager
    > There should be an SB Live entry i think
    > Rt click for its Properties, look at General tab. What is the Driver Status???
    > Next click Details tab
    ===> Use the pulldown menu to check the Class Filters (not Device Filters). Check the ones named Class Upper Filter and the Class Lower Filter
    ===> Tell me what, if any, file name appears (or if blank)
  2. Check services
    > Click Start->Run, enter: services.msc
    > Scroll to Windows Audio. Verify StartupType=Automatic and Status=Started
    > If StartupType = Manual, rt click to change it to Automatic and restart and check sound
    > If Status = Stopped or blank, it's a problem
  3. Try installing the SB Live Patch from the Dell download site
    > fyi... it would appear the IDT/Soundmax driver isn't for your specific h/w
    > Also, i don't know if Dell's download is only a patch/upgrade for a driver it assumes is already installed
    > So try the patch install (but don't uninstall the current SB Live driver yet)

nothing after the messages, no problems with drives as far as I know, driver status is working fine, no files under upper or lower class, start up is automatic and status is started, working on the patch now

under sound video and games in device manager I have... audio codecs, creative sb live! series (wdm), gameport for sb live series, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture devices, media control devices, unimodem half-duplex audio device, and video codecs, would disabling any of these help?

I don't think disabling any of those will make any difference.

Suggest you next try uninstall/reinstall.

Open Device Manager. Rt click Creative sb live! select Uninstall. Reboot. I'm guessing the driver will reinstall itself.

When you check for sound make sure to also check:
> In Device Manager, Creative sb live! driver status= Working Properly AND
> In Sound and Audio control panel, your default sound playback device= Creative SB Live

If uninstall/reinstall driver only doesn;t help, look in Add/Remove Programs. I'm guessing you'll find something for Creative Soundblaster? If yes, uninstall it.
> Next, I'd first try to install the Creative SB Live download from Dell
> You can also look at the downloads on the Creative web site for Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital (Dell

You might also try reseating the sound card but if reinstalling and reseating still doesn't help, it could just be that the sound card has failed and you need a new one. (There are some simple and cheap USB sound cards around if you just want a simple/easy replacement solution)

/* edit */
just a note you remember to keep checking the default sound playback device. As if SB Live installs correctly and becomes an option for default playback yet your default still stays set to modem you may still not hear the sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back