Dell Dimension 4700 top fan making a groaning sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuliB55

Hi,

The top fan (the one with 7 fins that's above the CPU cooling fan) is making a groaning noise. I can't figure out how to remove it in order to clean it, though I did spray compressed air on it through the grill on the back of the computer tower.

The computer works fine, software wise, but that groaning sound is scaring the crap out of me and makes me afraid to run the computer for more than five minutes at a time. I've been searching the Internet for even the name of this fan, but to no avail. I even tried searching the manufacturer's part ID number (CN-0Y2682-17972-452-31X1, Rev A01, China).

Does anyone know what this fan is called and/or how I can fix it?

Thanks a million in advance!!!!!

Juli

are you talking about the fan at the top here
dell-dimension-4700-rueckseite.jpg

are you talking about the fan at the top here

YES, I am! I've since done research and realized it's the fan that's part of the power supply unit (part # CN-0Y682-17972-452-31X1, Rev. A01, made in China). I think it's 305 watts, and I'm guessing the whole unit needs to be replaced. If that's the case, could you please tell me if (a) a layperson could actually perform the exchange of parts and (b) if I should upgrade to the 460 watts, since I did increase the memory on my computer (2 gigs) and also run Magic Jack on it.

I very much appreciate your reply and any further advice/instructions you can give me. I know it takes time and effort to respond. THANK YOU!!!!!!

yes if you take it to a computer shop and tell them to replace your power supply but it is cheaper to do this your self. its not hard and its a great experience

yes if you take it to a computer shop and tell them to replace your power supply but it is cheaper to do this your self. its not hard and its a great experience

Do you think I should upgrade to the 460 watt power supply unit that I've read are compatible with Dim 4700s? If not, I found a place (Centrix) to order the exact same part. I hope whichever one I end up buying comes with instructions for installation! If not, I'll try a computer repair place and pay them for the labor to install it (which will probably take them 5 minutes and me 5 hours :)).

Thanks again.

buy this...

here is a good...

Two last questions:

1. I clicked on your link to the Corsair but don't see anywhere that says it's compatible with a Dell Dimension 4700. Is it?

2. The computer still works fine, except for the groaning noise of the fan, so I'm not even sure the power supply unit itself is broken; it's just the fan portion that has slowed down and makes noise. So my question is, if one part of the PSU isn't working, then that means a whole new PSU is needed?

Thanks!!!!

yes the Corsair is compatible, you can replace the fan in the psu but its not worth the time and can be dangerous. the Corsair has a 3 year Warranty

yes the Corsair is compatible, you can replace the fan in the psu but its not worth the time and can be dangerous. the Corsair has a 3 year Warranty

Wow, Dustin--you've really helped me out. Can't thank you enough!! Much obliged. Wishing you many blessings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back