Dell Dimension E521 won't work with original driver

After trying to install Window 7 on this great computer, I reinstalled Windows XP as being the OS it was born with.
I used Dells homepage to get the driver from, but, - the on board sound card and NIC just won´t work. error code 10....

I have tried just about all, - so now I lean to Dell experts to make this work again.

PS It worked before. and, it worked with Windows 7....

BDW, why don't DELL make windows 7 drivers for this computer? It would kick a..!
Did Bill Gates tell you not to?

Last edited:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

List any Problem devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag and click OK
    ===> If you’re running 32 bit Windows, dxdiag will launch on its own
    ===> If you’re running 64 bit Windows, you’ll see 64-bit DxDiag. Click it to launch the 64-bit version of dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save as a text file to your Desktop
  • Click the Upload a File button to upload and attach the file to your next post

Hyperlinks below are from the Dell E521 driver site

1) nVidia Chipset. click HERE

2) Looks like your machine should be using the Broadcom driver. click HERE. (note the "fine print" on the Dell site, the first Broadcom entry on the site is a utility, the second is the driver)

Give those a shot first. Does your network work? I'll have to take a closer look at audio and get back later

Curious.... I would have thought there would have been at least 2 entries in problem devices (including the ethernet controller when the driver is missing). if so, be sure you copy all the problem device entries

Don´t know what went wrong her, but:
the chipset driver, was indentical with the one I allready had, - but:
the other Broadcom driver you wanted me to use, - cut of my net card.
had a hard time bringing it back to status Q.

Back now, but still no sound card....

oh, forgot, found the NIC though, - found that it was not enough to download and run the driver, - had to update driver from device manager, and direct the pointer toward the newly downloaded driver..... but thats not working with the sound driver.

Hey, -
Found the #RIGHT# Sigmatel audio driver - - - its all working now
thanks for your time and effort :)

Last edited:
Back