Dell Dimension XPS

I got a Dell Dimension XPS from a friend and it had so much crap on it that it literally took more than 10 mins to boot up. I unistalled and reinstalled windows xp although now I can't connect to the internet cause it won't detect my modem. I've been reading posts for the past 8 hrs and nothing has worked for me. I've tried unistalling and reinstalling the network adapter, resetting the modem, downloading the adapters onto a disk from my laptop and installing onto desktop, but nothing is working. I have 5 drivers that have yellow question marks on them but nothing I do fixes them. They are...ethernet controller, multimedia audio controller, network controller, video controller, and video controller (VGA Compatible). I've even tried running the setup on my modem but it just tells me my OS isn't compatible...I'm at my wits end on this one! Somebody PLEASE help me!

Did this PC come with XP? If so have you tried going to dells support web site and typing in your service tag number.. This way you can get the original drivers.

Yes and yes. Do I install all of them including the optional ones? I did all the recommended and urgent ones but nothing seemed to work and there were a lot of optional ones.

Did you use a recovery disk for the computer or did you use a Win XP disk. If you use a regular XP disk. You may run into the problems you are having. Which means you will need to do a search for drivers. Or download a third party driver installer. If this was a dell recovery, Try looking on the C drive, For a folder called SWsetup. In this folder you will find a sub folder Called DRV. This folder should contain most of the original drivers . Plus your chipset drivers.

Back