Dell GX280 solid amber light after coke spillage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, (she says through gritted teeth)

My son spilt a glass of coke around my pc tonight, as I was cleaning the keyboard I assume I hit the power off button as it shut itself down. I decided this probably wasnt such a terrible thing so I could continue to clean the keyboard and the rest of the mess. I then powered it up and the fan ran furiously (louder than normal) with a solid amber light from the power button and monitor power button. I turned it all of at the power point then turned it all back on, same again. So I decided to remove it open it up and check for moisture inside. There was no moisture in and around the mother board or anywhere else that I could see other than some coming out of the plastic case area which I cleaned (also vacuumed it out to remove dust), but the metal case / base and all insides looked fine. After a while I plugged it back in but same again, fan going flat out and just amber lights. Oh yes and I tried the mouse from it on another computer and it won't work either!

Which part is cactus?

Can I retrieve any of the information / files from the hard drive? I have an Acer and a HP Compact, am I able to put the hard drive into either of these to get my files?

I had files I hadn't backed up on there ( I know it's a sin)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Ok my husband the computer illiterate came up with the solution! I can't believe it, but I suppose it's common sense, he said maybe the keyboard was shorting it out, so I unplugged all usb ports and what do you know, it's fired up!!!! He's been told he's a genius, I'm sure he's happy the swearing and carry on is over! The son will be pleased also that he's not being held responsible for killing my computer!

Thanks anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back