Dell Inspiron 1300 Power Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Hoping someone might have come across the problem I'm having with my Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop.

When I press the power button nothing much happens: two LEDs at the front (power and hard disk) light, and the 3 caps lock, num lock, scroll lock keys flash once. Apart from that nothing - no video, no fan noise. Tried it connected to an external monitor and nothing on that either.

This is with the (dead) battery removed and only the power supply connected.

To rule out anything else I've removed the hard disk and memory but it's still the same.

I posted a video on youtube (first post, can't do links):
Code:
youtube.com/watch?v=8zxtsXbzO4M

Anyone seen this before?

Looks like the motherboard might be bad... Try reseating the hard drive and memory, leave the battery and AC adapter out. Hold the power switch down for a minute or so, then attach the AC adapter and see if the computer posts

Thanks Tmagic650. I've tried holding the power switch down already - nothing.

I removed the hard drive, memory and battery to rule them out - it should still post like this shouldn't it? (with power supply connected of course)

I'm suspecting something on the motherboard too, but hoping someone might be able to suggest what might need repaired on the board. There's no obviously burnt/melted components that I can see, but there are a few streaks around the edges which could be a sign of liquid ingress.

Memory would have to be installed to post, but that is it... I had a Dell in recently that had the same symptoms. A pena colada was spilled over the open keyboard and allowed to dry inside on the motherboard. New mobo $300. Customer declined of course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back