Dell Inspiron 1520 display very faint

Hi there.
I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 and the display is very faint. But you can just about see it if you shine a tourch on it.
I replaced the inverter with a new one, but that did not cure it.
It feeds to an external monitor perfectly, and doing this I have reinstalled Windows xp pro with no problems.
So I presume the laptop is working correctly, and the screen is not damaged, as everything functions as it should, apart from the display.
Any ideas or help would be really great, as other than using it permanantly linked to an external monitor, (bit of a problem with portability...lol), it is a great laptop.
Many thanks in advance.
Deevie.

The test you did with the torch would indicate the backlight has blown. It's a tricky job to replace it so if you are not confortable taking it apart I would get a (recommended) professional.

And, yes it is a great laptop, I have the exact same model.

Hi Mark56.
Thanks for the reply.
I am quite happy to take it apart, as I did to replace the inverter.
So if you could give me a guide, or "walk through" as to what I need to do, I can have a go myself.
Thanks again.
Deevie.

It is not a job I have ever had to do, you will have to search for a guide on line or see if there is any information on the Dell site.

Best of luck.

Is the converter a genuine Dell one?

The reason for asking is because pattern, or compatible ones in my experience do not work properly, and give the issues your experiencing now with a dull display.

Hi Leeky.
As far as I can tell it is identical to the one I took out....The fault is still the same, I even tried putting the original one back in just incase I had disturbed anything while taking it apart and putting back together.
I suppose for now I can just leave it conected to my external monitor and use like that as everything works fine....Not very portable though...lol
Any other help or info on changing the backlight...if that could still be the problem..would still be very hlpful.
Thanks again.
Deevie

It is "very likely" that the problem is the backlight. Shining the torch on the screen is simply replicating (in a crude way) what the back ligh does. If you just google, "Guide to replace backlight in Dell laptop" you should find something. You might not find a guide for the same model but as long as it is Dell it should be close with some variations on screw positions, etc.

Back