Dell Inspiron 6000 Screen Goes Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read all the posts and ordered a new inverter. It was actually very easy to change the inverter, but alas. After changing the inverter the screen still goes 'black' after a few minutes. It actually goes very very dim. I can barely see the outline of things on the screen. So, if the inverter was not the problem, what is the next thing I can try?

External Monitor works well

Yes the external monitor works well. (I had to press the Function F8 key to get it to toggle)

Ok, the graphics circuits on the motherboard are working... The LCD inverter is good. This leaves the LCD panel itself or a bad LCD connecting cable to the motherboard

LCD to Motherboard cable

I can easily find the LCD replacements, but I can't seem to find the LCD to Motherboard cable. I would like to try that first (since it is the least expensive) Is it possible that it is the backlights? I see that they are available and easy to find. Are they easy to replace or are they buried in the LCD panel? Are backlights usually included in the replacement LCD panel?
I would hate to spend $100 - 150 on an LCD only to find out it is the cable.

Thank you so much for your help.

Backlights are "buried" in the LCD Panel, but they usually fail hard meaning once they go they go for good... It is possible that the LCD cable is part of the LCD panel assembly itself. Dell laptops are among the most expensive to repair, next to possibly Sony

New Screen Worked

I got the new screen. It was not a 'perfect match' but it was an 'official' replacement. It did fit, it just didn't have a couple of screw anchor points like the original and there was not a place to screw the inverter to the screen frame.
But, it works perfectly and I have it all back together.

Side note: You were absolutely right about the backlight. Out of curiosity I took the old/bad LCD panel and looked where the backlight was at. Man, that would have been a major task to replace and probably have damaged the LCD.

Thanks again for your help it was right on the money.

David

Laptopz.com

I ordered the screen from Laptopz.com
I have ordered from them before and they have been very fast and their prices were fairly decent. I had a very positive experience ordering from them.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back