Dell intros 24-inch eco-friendly G2410H display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Dell has added a new eco-friendly computer display to its G series. The 24-inch G2410H consumes up to 60% less electricity than other comparable Dell widescreen monitors, with features including an ambient light sensor and dynamic dimming to scale brightness, three energy modes, PowerNap, and it consumes less than 0.15W in standby. Along with its power-sipping technology, the G2410H is manufactured without arsenic (glass only), mercury, polyvinyl chloride (packaging only), BFR and CFR.

The G2410H is built with a TN panel and WLED backlight, and features a 1920x1080 native resolution, a 1000:1 standard contrast ratio, a 0.277mm pixel pitch, a 250 cd/m 2 brightness, a 5ms response time, 160/170-degree viewing angles, displays 16.7 million colors, and has VGA and DVI-D inputs. It sits atop a base with tilt, swivel, and height adjustments, as well as built-in cable management.

Tipping your hat to mother nature comes at a premium price, and Dell is offering the G2410H for $339.

Permalink to story.

"..it consumes less than 0.15W in standby..."

Man, it's almost to the point where you can run these via USB connection. ;-)

No way I am paying more for a screen that uses less power. ''60% less'' thats sounds pretty good, but I will just buy the monitor with the best spec; how much power it uses is the last thing I look at when buying a monitor! if it plugs into a wall sounds good to me!

Would be great for offices and schools that are looking to cut down on Power use.

I don't know about anyone else, but I will not pay a premium for something who's selling point is that it's more power friendly. If I'm going to pay three hundred dollars for a monitor it's going to be a monitor that supports 3d not one that's more energy efficient.

Well, I haven't done the math on this one. But I think that the premium I pay on the energy saving feature (60% less electricity) would not save me much on the actual electricity bills when compare with other new LCD monitors. For people or business that uses the monitors for a longer period may see some benefits.

Well, that's nice, but I'm more concerned with what technology is involved with the panel. If this is just another one those nasty TN panels, who cares about the electric bill.

Wait, I just rethought that. A high electric draw and a TN panel is just adding injury to insult.

60% less power doesn't seem all that much when talking about LCD Screens, to my knowledge they are already relatively low power consumers. it's like changing from a normal light bulb to an eco friendly one, but not as financially friendly.

This is pretty cool, but isnt that a low contrast ratio.
I think that they punch up the contrast ratio stats by using overly bright backlights in the first place. That's why when they're turned all the way up, it washes out the highlights. Not as bright would equal less power consumption, and also less contrast. The light isn't as far from black, it has to be that way.

If you have a lot of spare money and care about the environment, then go for it. But I don't think there will be a lot of buyers for this premium monitor. The price tag is just too much for average consumers.

If you have a lot of spare money and care about the environment, then go for it. But I don't think there will be a lot of buyers for this premium monitor. The price tag is just too much for average consumers.

As I said before, they can call this a premium monitor, then attach a premium price, but with a TN panel, it's just run of the mill junk

This should be selling for at least $50 cheaper, with all this energy saving stuff the screen would look so dark, even with the LED backlight that helps a lot. Still too expensive, what's with the crappy contrast ratio?

Not that it makes a huge difference...

Looks ok but I am still happy with my 2407WFP-HC. I will say Dell makes the best monitors to bad they went with the TN panel on this instead of the IPS or SPVA panel.

I just Couldn't Let This Go.....

Companies attempting to foist off "green" products by generating "eco awarness" are annoying. No other way to describe it. It's generally obnoxious to imply that if you spend hundreds of dollars for a new product that you'll save 2 dollars on you electric bill over the next ten years. Worried about standby draw? then shut the damned thing off.

Philadelphia Electric Company, "PECO", has been crowing about how they "replaced all the lights on their building with LEDs, "look how green we are"...!

For God's sake, they have the entire top 3 or 4 floors of the building's exterior lit.. ! Now, if you want green, then you should shut that crap off. I'm know I'm paying part of the bill for that s***, and I don't like it one little bit.

Moving along, they then released a TV commercial, showing people how to be "green", by pulling the power plug out of a power strip. Well, the power switch in the commercial has a switch on it. So, one has to assume that this ad was made by imbeciles for imbeciles. There's no other reasonable explanation.

So, Dell can go to h*ll, I'm sick of being talked down to by a bunch of morons in advertising, who just recently graduated from some diploma mill, where they studied "Cultural Anthropology", Sociology, and perhaps a little "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", since they weren't capable of doing either math or science.

Ooooh, a green monitor, muttering a profanity to himself as he signed off

contrast ratio is less! but other than that everything else is pretty good enough!
and price too is affordable considering its power consumption!
great work!

Wow, that's a really nice monitor, i'll certainly have a look at that bad boy when I one day buy some new ones.

Whenever someone claims that a product is 'environmentally friendly' i'm extremely dubious as that has pretty much become just a sales ploy, as for 'standby power consumption' that almost always means nothing whatsoever, it's just a term they can throw around.

hello ...

i would buy such monitor if it can do 120Hz + for refresh rate, & eco-friendly makes it one of my fav.

cheers!

Speaking of monitor is it just me or are laptop LCD's always look better than stand alone monitors? Also LED are mostly available for laptop.

I would look into this once since its LED backlit

Wow, that's a really nice monitor, i'll certainly have a look at that bad boy when I one day buy some new ones.

Whenever someone claims that a product is 'environmentally friendly' i'm extremely dubious as that has pretty much become just a sales ploy, as for 'standby power consumption' that almost always means nothing whatsoever, it's just a term they can throw around.
hello ...

i would buy such monitor if it can do 120Hz + for refresh rate, & eco-friendly makes it one of my fav.
hello ...

Guys, buy it, don't buy, I really don't care. But there's this, it's just another garbage TN panel, badly overpriced. Just make sure that if you do buy it, you have a place where you can stare straight at it, because it, (as is every other TN panel) will be wretched for viewing off axis.

And for the rest of you, please knock off the dumb comments about the contrast ratio. They turn the brightness down, that saves electricity, but it makes "full" white closer to black. When "white" is closer to black, that IS lower contrast. "Less light, less contrast", does that make more sense when it's phrased that way?

Now. if you want to be impressed by higher contrast numbers, perhaps you should look into a monitor with a carbon arc back light. But, that would absolutely run up your electric bill.

Because it is a TN panel by default it has a poor viewing angle and possible washed out colours. The price is somewhat high due to the fact the monitor has tilt, swivel and height adjustments. Most of the monitors out on the market come without these extra features.
To the author - "...and it consumes less than 0.15W in standby". You forgot to add "when using the VGA input".

Because it is a TN panel by default it has a poor viewing angle and possible washed out colours. The price is somewhat high due to the fact the monitor has tilt, swivel and height adjustments. Most of the monitors out on the market come without these extra features.
The TN viewing angle situation is actually made much worse, by using one of these panels in the vertical position! I have a Samsung 22" TN with pivot (1680 X1050), and the price spread between this and a tilt and height, or tilt only panel was about 20 to 30 dollars. I paid $190.00 for it, on sale. I suppose I love it, but vertical it's uuuugh-leeee, with maybe a ten degree angle of "forgiveness" in viewing position.

Point being, the word "Dell" still asks a premium.

One not only has to look at the less power usage, but also the NON-TOXIC materials and methods in its construction and manufacturing.
My hats off to Dell and see this will be the industry standard... about time...
ACER is also entering in this green revolution...others also.
THe only way to keep it going is to support (BUY) these products!
Just like going in to buy produce... BUY Organic!

One not only has to look at the less power usage, but also the NON-TOXIC materials and methods in its construction and manufacturing.
My hats off to Dell and see this will be the industry standard... about time...
ACER is also entering in this green revolution...others also.
THe only way to keep it going is to support (BUY) these products!
Just like going in to buy produce... BUY Organic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back