Dell laptop won't stay on

TheDreams

A Dell Latitude E5450 I'm working on won't stay powered on. It varies before shutting down, sometimes I can log in and sometimes its just a few seconds, it's plugged in using its proper charger and it seems to have a full battery when I was able to log in. When powering on sometimes it says the battery is critically low but not always. I've unplugged the battery for about 5 minutes, held the power button for about 30 seconds and plugged back in, but the issue persists. Any ideas?

Update: Now its refusing to turn on.

Last edited:
Remove the battery from it, plug in the power cable, see what happens.
If its still doing weird things, it "might" be a dc jack problem.
Is that laptop getting enough air, is the fan loud when being powered on ?
You might need to run it down to a local computer store to check for heating issues.

A Dell Latitude E5450 I'm working on won't stay powered on. It varies before shutting down, sometimes I can log in and sometimes its just a few seconds, it's plugged in using its proper charger and it seems to have a full battery when I was able to log in. When powering on sometimes it says the battery is critically low but not always. I've unplugged the battery for about 5 minutes, held the power button for about 30 seconds and plugged back in, but the issue persists. Any ideas?

Update: Now its refusing to turn on.
I suggest the problem is one of the following:
1. Bad wall outlet
2. Bad laptop power cable
3. Bad power connector on the laptop that connects to the laptop

Since the battery isn't being recharged due to one of the above issues, the laptop will not boot. Verify the wall outlet is getting electricity (most likely), use a voltage meter to verify the laptop power adapter that connects to the laptop is supplying electricity. Finally, you would need to take apart the laptop to verify power is making it to the inside of the laptop.

Back