Dell Latitude D820 laptop locking up when moved

My Dell Latitude D820 laptop is locking up when I move it while open. The screen goes black and a green light comes on at the top of the keyboard that looks like a padlock with the letter A in it. None of the keys work and I've tried closing it and reopening it with no reaction. The only solution I have now that works is to manually power down and then repower. Is there some keystroke combination that will keep me from having to reboot? Any ideas about what might be causing the problem and how to fix it? Thanks for the help!

Is the AC adapter connected when you move it, or is it just on battery power? Has this laptop ever been dropped?

Yes, the AC adapter is connected when I move it. I'm fairly sure that the lock-up occurs when the screen moves slightly. The screen seems to be a little bit loose. I've never really tried to make it lock-up but I supposed I can try. I don't recall the laptop being dropped but it has seen a lot of hard use and travel in it's time. But it still works really well which is why I would like to fix it if possible. Having to reboot is an aggravation but not the end of the world. I was really hoping that there was a "wake-up" button or key-stroke combo that would work instead of the reboot. It never powers down. The green power light stays on and the green padlock with the number 9 in it stays on. The primary difference that I can see pre-lockup to post-lockup is the green padlock with the letter A in it being lit.

It's possible that the display cable going from the LCD display is damaged where it passes by a top cover hinge on its way to the motherboard connector, causing this problem

Back