Dell's 32-inch, UltraSharp 8K monitor is incredible but like most things in Vegas, it's...

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Dell at CES has unveiled an absolute drool-worthy monitor in the UltraSharp UP3218K, a 32-inch monitor with an insanely high resolution of 7,680 x 4,320 at 60Hz (and a scary price tag to match).

Labeled as the world’s first 32-inch 8K resolution display with Dell PremierColor, the UP3218K offers 1.07 billion colors and packs in more than 33 million pixels – that’s four times as many as a 4K display and 16 times more than Full HD. That translates to a PPI rating of 280 which is very high for a desktop screen.

The display covers 100 percent of the Adobe RGB and sRGB color gamut, offers a brightness of 400 cd/m2 / and a contrast ratio of 1,300:1. Connectivity options include two DisplayPort 1.3 connections, four USB 3.0 ports (1x BC1.2 charging capability) and an audio line-out connection.

The UltraSharp UP3218K certainly looks the part but that doesn’t necessarily mean it would be a good fit on your desk. Allow me to explain.

I had the unique opportunity to review Dell’s UltraSharp 4K UP3216Q 32-inch monitor a few months back as part of a full-on desktop replacement project. The display, which we gave away to a lucky TechSpot reader along with a Dell XPS 13 notebook, impressed me so much that I found myself in search of something to replace the two baby-sized-by-comparison 22-inch displays and a 24-incher that I’d been using in a triple monitor configuration for years.

As I found in that review, 32 inches is about as small as I’d recommend for a 4K monitor that you intend to run natively without any sort of scaling. Dell’s newest 32-incher is the same size but with four times as many pixels. Even for the most eagle-eyed user, this is simply too small of a display / too many pixels to run natively with your computer.

Scaling more or less defeats the whole purpose of having a high-resolution monitor and it'd be a crime to have to do so with this 8K Dell. You can also hang up the idea of playing AAA games natively unless you have some seriously high-end hardware in your PC case.

There’s also the issue of price as Dell’s new 8K display will set you back a cool $4,999 when it goes on sale on March 23 via Dell.com.

For these reasons, I simply can't see how this monitor makes sense for most of our readers. Then again, CES (and Las Vegas) is all about excess...

Permalink to story.

Connectivity options include two DisplayPort 1.3 connections
That's a bummer, should be dual DisplayPort 1.4
The display, which we gave away to a lucky TechSpot reader along with a Dell XPS 13 notebook, impressed me so much
I'll take this one, as I'm feeling lucky right now, and I promise to be impressed,...please!

Oh, and that punch bag on the picture is actually your budget, in case you consider buying it ;)

Last edited:
32 inches is barely big enough for 4k.

32 inches and 8k?

I hope you have the vision of a kyptonian

32 inches and 8k?

4k @32in ~138ppi
8k @32in ~275ppi

Those numbers are still way way behind smartphones, even the Apple retina magic number 326ppi. I expect that we won't stop there.
You are looking at a smartphone from only a few inches away though.... the monitor, hopefully, will be over a foot away from your eyes, thus making this high of a resolution largely unnecessary...

Of course, that doesn't stop me from REALLY REALLY wanting this :)

8k and a 32 inch monitor are a match made in heaven, now I need to upgrade to be able to run this beauty :)

My 15 inch laptop has a UHD screen and I run it natively with very few issues, I wish it supported dual 4k screens, but now I want to skip that and go for a single 8k screen.

So much screen real-estate.... drool...

8k and a 32 inch monitor are a match made in heaven, now I need to upgrade to be able to run this beauty :)

My 15 inch laptop has a UHD screen and I run it natively with very few issues, I wish it supported dual 4k screens, but now I want to skip that and go for a single 8k screen.

So much screen real-estate.... drool...

then you will need a DP to HDMI2.1 adapter if your laptop has DP

Sure, computers can display at 8k, but I don't even think endless funds is enough to game on this at 8k. But, I guess technology will catch up eventually.

8K means that you can watch 16 Full HD movies at the same time, without downscaling. Completely useless, of course, but still impressive!

That is still insane haha. Should be at least 35" imo.

I think even 35 inches at 8k is still too small it would have to be 40-42 inches.

I'm very certain that if you place both a 4k and 8k at 32inch side by side you couldn't tell the difference.

32 inches and 8k?

4k @32in ~138ppi
8k @32in ~275ppi

Those numbers are still way way behind smartphones, even the Apple retina magic number 326ppi. I expect that we won't stop there.
You are looking at a smartphone from only a few inches away though.... the monitor, hopefully, will be over a foot away from your eyes, thus making this high of a resolution largely unnecessary...

Of course, that doesn't stop me from REALLY REALLY wanting this :)

I can spot dead pixels on a 27" 5K monitor from normal sitting distance of around 1.5-2ft.
If 8K solves that problem then I'd buy one for that reason alone. Saying that I don't think I'll buy a Dell monitor again, their quality control in terms of pixel defects/dust/dirt inside the screen is atrocious. I've been through countless replacements and have had success in perhaps 1 in 10 units.

I can spot dead pixels on a 27" 5K monitor from normal sitting distance of around 1.5-2ft.
If 8K solves that problem then I'd buy one for that reason alone. Saying that I don't think I'll buy a Dell monitor again, their quality control in terms of pixel defects/dust/dirt inside the screen is atrocious. I've been through countless replacements and have had success in perhaps 1 in 10 units.

Then you are either a freak or 14 years old.

The average adult with average vision most likely will not be able to spot any dead pixels on a 27' 5k monitor from 1.5-2 feet away.

Back