Desktop or console?

Ok,
So I have a good graphics card that I would like to put into use. I bought it a few years ago but the computer where it was installed died and it costs around 300 to fix it.
So,

I already have a laptop for my everyday needs, but I want to play some games.

so..
Should I spend around 300 on a Desktop and install the graphics card.. OR if what I want is to play, should I get a gaming Console instead (like xbox, or ps3 etc)?
What should I do?

Well it depends, what kind of games are you looking to play and what resolution/quality settings are you planning on running them at? What kind of video card is it? For $300 are you looking to build or buy a pre-built system?

I personally would recommend PC gaming, the control you have over the games you play is far superior to consoles. Also graphics CAN be a lot better on a PC if it's powerful enough. It really just comes down to preference.

And also what kind of games you are interested in. Some games just aren't designed well around a keyboard and mouse - I know I know blasphemy but it's the truth. And if you are a "console" gamer, switching can be hard and not all games allow you to program a gamepad the same way it's programmed on the console.

There's a lot of what ifs in this scenario - but Leeky is right it all starts with what kind of graphics card is it?

If it's a question between the Ps3 and the Xbox I would agree with Tmagic - go with the Xbox. Games on the Ps3 are laggy and the console itself is still hard to program for. You'll get better bang for the buck with the Xbox.

However a choice between a desktop and an Xbox - still depends on what kind of games you want to play. Forget about playing any modern mmos on the xbox - best you will get is the decade old FFXI.

So a lot of this depends on what kind of games you are planning to play. If you have no interest in mmos and think you never will - then get a console. If you want the maximum flexibility in case you change your mind, get a PC.

Back