Developers use Oculus Rift and GoPro cams to let you view real life in third-person

Justin Kahn

oculus rift developer creates weird -person view hack

Some game developers opt for a first person view angle in their projects in order to, at least in part, better immerse the player into the fictional world. However, a different kind of development team out of Poland is essentially reversing this process with a contraption that allows users to live real life from a third person viewing angle.

If that sounds a little bit weird, well, that's because it is. With the use of a couple GoPro cameras mounted above the user's head via a 3D printed arm, the developers at mepi have figured out a way to view real life in third person. The feed from the GoPro cams are then blasted to an Oculus Rift, allowing the user to see his or herself from that classic behind, and slightly above third person angle. 

The system also comes with a small joystick that simulates the ability to move the camera in third person video games. The whole system is just running off the basic laptop PC and the joystick uses an Arduino to talk to the GoPro and mount. The team points out that it is a rough prototype and was put together in two days.

You can get a closer look at what the team calls "Real World Third Person Perspective" as well as what it looks like from inside the Oculus in the demo video below. Mepi has made its Arduino set-up and 3D printing tutorials available for download

Permalink to story.

This may not always be an enjoyable experience due to shaky and too fast recording, like this crazy ball that will guarantee nausea to anyone watching its record.

I'm so bored I need to watch myself from behind...

Seriously? What about when you need to take a dump? Watch it come out? ewwwww.

I always thought it would be easier to just strap a little camera to one of those remote control helicopters and have it track an ir beacon, marker or special pattern that you wear on your person.

I wonder why there is every week a news about oculus. its more like an advertisement than showing actually something useful or interesting or new

Cool. Now instead of just playing GTA I can be GTA, just give me a piece, I'll paint the aiming reticle on the camera lens myself.

For the dude reacting to this with cries of "Why?!":

Why not? They own the tech, they apparently have the time. Yes, it doesn't really achieve anything, but neither does your posting on this website. It's meant to be fun - remember what that is?

Back