Device driver error

Ronno

On start up today, I recieved an error message stating I have a Devise Driver Error.
At the bottom of BSOD that appeared afterwards was this;
atapi.sys-address F771471D base at F770A000,Data Stamp 4802539d
Can you help?

It's a hard drive/CD or DVD controller error... What motherboard are you running. What are your systems specs? What version of Windows do you have installed?

Sir I am not sure how to tell what Mother Board I have? Here is what I can tell you;
Dell Demension 8300/ Intel (R)/ Pentium (R)4 CPU 2.80 GHZ 2.79 GHz, 1.00GB Ram/ Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 Service pack 3/ DVD/CD-ROM Drives; NEC DVD + RW DVD-1100A/ Liteon DVD ROM LTD 163
I hope that helps. please let me know if you need more info

Okay that's enough info... Have you been getting this error for a while before Service Pack 3 was installed, or after?

after, I recently switched from comcast (which came with Norton Security) to At&T U-Verse. Upon erasing norton, I upgraded from windows explorer 7 to 8, and downloaded Microsoft security essentials. That's when all this started, approx 3 weeks ago.

Oh, I should tell you I was able to use the computer this mornig for approx 4 hours, then got this message: GENERIC HOST PROCESS FOR WIN32 SERVICES HAS ENCOUNTERED A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO CLOSE. after which I get Performance Problem messages that suggest I shut down.

Did Norton uninstall properly? Does At&T U-Verse come with any security or malware software? Download and run free Superantispyware and Temp File Cleaner by Old Timer. Tell us what they find

I was helped by Route44 and eliminated all software issues...I think. Now I just believe I have this driver issue to deal with. Norton removal tool was used to remove it, I follow How to Remove Virsus &Malware on your site and pasted all finding as well.
Just tried starting computer again and got BSOD;
STOP:0X0000008E (0Xc0000005,0XF771471D,OXB6E0748,OXOOOOOOOO)
atapi.sys - address F771471D base at F770A000, DateStamp 4802539d
Hope this helps!

After thinking about this, you may have a failing hard drive. Have you checked it for errors?

"How do I do that?"...

Go to My Computer, right-click on the C drive and select Properties, tools, check drive for errors and check the two boxes shown. Schedule a check on the next start up

Ran the check up as you suggested, after it finished it flashed the results twice for about 2 seconds each time and then restarted the computer. I didn't get a chance to read what was written. Da...now what? That took hours...what a disappointment.

I went out and bought External Hard drive and backed up all the files off of the troubled computer. Is there a way to run thi stroubled computer off the external HD untill I can get a new one?
Thanks for all your help.
Ron

If you can "see" the external hard dive in the boot options of the bios, you may be able to boot from it

Back