Device Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckoning

I'm trying to fix a laptop I have it would not connect to the internet no matter if I tried ethernet, usb, or wireless. Also I could not get the sound to work. I tried to reinstall drivers for modem, and sound from the HP website and I just could not seem to fix the problem. I saved all my pictures and music and reformatted the comp and figured this would fix it. Since the reformat I still can not connect to the internet and I still can't get sound to work. I'm trying to think this is a software issue as much as I can to avoid it being hardware.
Also in device manage what is this Base System Device?
I've installed all the drivers off HP's website.. and no luck. When I open the internet browser it just says can not connect I don't know what to do from here.
Any help muchly apprectiated!

Attachments

• DM.JPG
    DM.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 8
All the items in your Device Manager with the "!" mark are the peripherals not recognized.
Obviously, we know which ones they are, Did you reinstall Windows with the original restore disk?
Are you sure the proper friivers are being loaded?
Has this laptop ever been dropped? There are quite a few things not to work to pin point s/w or h/w.

based on the devices in your attached image i'd suggest

1) Make sure all Windows updates are installed. ESPECIALLY all hardware optional updates (if you're running XP be sure you're clicking Custom)
2) Verify you have the right HP model on HP's website as stuff like Base System drivers (and some others you indicate) imply stuff that should be part of your motherboard install (including the chipset drivers)

All the items in your Device Manager with the "!" mark are the peripherals not recognized.
Obviously, we know which ones they are, Did you reinstall Windows with the original restore disk?
Are you sure the proper friivers are being loaded?
Has this laptop ever been dropped? There are quite a few things not to work to pin point s/w or h/w.

I did not reformat with the original disc. The original OS was Win XP Media Center and the OS i just booted it with is Win XP Pro. Also I do not have all of windows updates because the CD Key I have for xp pro doesn't pass their WGA test. The fact that I booted with XP Pro instead of XP Media Center doesn't mean anything though right? I mean as far as I know you can use any OS you want on the comp, it's not set up to only run the original OS. As far as my copy not passing windows WGA test therefore not receiving all updates, could that really be the reason I can't get sound OR internet to work? I understand it's made to be a nuisance to get you to purchase a new copy but are the windows updates really necessary for you to just get hardware to work correct?

It could very well be that the reason they don't work is because you're not receiving updates. Go and buy a legit copy of XP or Vista or whatever and set your system up properly. You can even contact HP, if that is what your PC is and obtain a copy from there. If you were able to use the original disk, it would have the proper drivers on it.

It could very well be that the reason they don't work is because you're not receiving updates. Go and buy a legit copy of XP or Vista or whatever and set your system up properly. You can even contact HP, if that is what your PC is and obtain a copy from there. If you were able to use the original disk, it would have the proper drivers on it.
Would you happen to know if HP would send a copy of Xp Media Center on a disk out since the computer already has a legit key for Media Center? Or maybe even have a link for a download? Or is the only real solution to buy a new copy with cd + key?

The best solution is to obtain one from HP, they will charge a fee, but it may be cheaper than buying a copy at the store.

I understand it's made to be a nuisance to get you to purchase a new copy but are the windows updates really necessary for you to just get hardware to work correct?

Your 'understanding' is not correct! Its not suppose to be a nuisance- it's suppose to prevent the use of pirated copies of an OS!

Try this:
1. Download/run SIW freeware
2. When it opens click System Summary (tell us the System Make and product model). Then click Motherbord (for exact motherboard model name)
3. Next check and report on your Device Problems
  • First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Your 'understanding' is not correct! Its not suppose to be a nuisance- it's suppose to prevent the use of pirated copies of an OS!
I do understand that, I'm just saying once it's on your system they want it do be a nuisance so you do actually buy a legit copy. It's not as simple as going to task manager and ending the process that gives you the warning. I just didn't know that because your OS is not up to date that it would cause you to have malfunctions like I'm having.

Try this:
2. When it opens click System Summary (tell us the System Make and product model). Then click Motherbord (for exact motherboard model name)
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
HP Pavilion dv6000 (RG279UA#ABA)
Motherboard is Quanta 30B7 - Version 65.2B

Base System Device PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0843&SUBSYS_30B7103C&REV_01\4&3A3249AB&0&2A80 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Base System Device PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0592&SUBSYS_30B7103C&REV_0A\4&3A3249AB&0&2B80 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Base System Device PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0852&SUBSYS_30B7103C&REV_05\4&3A3249AB&0&2C80 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus HDAUDIO\FUNC_02&VEN_14F1&DEV_5045&SUBSYS_103C30B7&REV_1001\4&1FC54547&0&0002 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Not Available ACPI\HPQ0006\2&DABA3FF&0 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Not Available ACPI\PNP0103\3&13C0B0C5&0 The drivers for this device are not installed.

PCI Device PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0822&SUBSYS_30B7103C&REV_19\4&3A3249AB&0&2980 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Video Controller (VGA Compatible) PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0244&SUBSYS_30B7103C&REV_A2\3&13C0B0C5&0&28 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Try this:
HP Pavilion dv6000 (RG279UA#ABA)
Motherboard is Quanta 30B7 - Version 65.2B

Base System Device PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0843&SUBSYS_30B7103C&REV_01\4&3A3249AB&0&2A80 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Base System Device PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0592&SUBSYS_30B7103C&REV_0A\4&3A3249AB&0&2B80 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Base System Device PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0852&SUBSYS_30B7103C&REV_05\4&3A3249AB&0&2C80 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus HDAUDIO\FUNC_02&VEN_14F1&DEV_5045&SUBSYS_103C30B7&REV_1001\4&1FC54547&0&0002 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Not Available ACPI\HPQ0006\2&DABA3FF&0 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Not Available ACPI\PNP0103\3&13C0B0C5&0 The drivers for this device are not installed.

PCI Device PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0822&SUBSYS_30B7103C&REV_19\4&3A3249AB&0&2980 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Video Controller (VGA Compatible) PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0244&SUBSYS_30B7103C&REV_A2\3&13C0B0C5&0&28 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Sorry for double post, can't figure out how to delete a post

1. Sorry, but in looking back at the thread i realize i somehow overlooked some things posted since my own last post: about about you're running without activation key.

2. That said, best i can do is offer some comments since trying to fixing things when you can't even get any of the valid fixes from MS is an uphill and needless battle (better to get a vaild copy first. You can probably get XP Pro for around $100 these days i think)

3. As for all your missing devices, the majority of them (but not all) look like things that should install using the chipset and device drivers from HP's website for your model and operating system.

Sorry that for your situation i can't be more specific as you have an unlicensed copy plus there's no way to even know its installation state as you can't run MS update to help out. :(

1. Sorry, but in looking back at the thread i realize i somehow overlooked some things posted since my own last post: about about you're running without activation key.

2. That said, best i can do is offer some comments since trying to fixing things when you can't even get any of the valid fixes from MS is an uphill and needless battle (better to get a vaild copy first. You can probably get XP Pro for around $100 these days i think)

3. As for all your missing devices, the majority of them (but not all) look like things that should install using the chipset and device drivers from HP's website for your model and operating system.

Sorry that for your situation i can't be more specific as you have an unlicensed copy plus there's no way to even know its installation state as you can't run MS update to help out. :(
Ok thanks for yours and everyone elses help!

I'm just saying once it's on your system they want it do be a nuisance so you do actually buy a legit copy.

Do you not recognize this as piracy? You buy the copy before putting it on the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back