Different Mobo Ram Slots not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

depository

Hello,

I own an ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AMD motherboard, and also own two OCZ Gold 2GB RAM sticks. On the motherboard there are four RAM slots, two yellow and two black. I've only ever used the yellow slots for my two RAM sticks.

Now, I've been wanting to order two more sticks, so I test the two black slots and as a result, my computer doesn't boot. I test only one in a black slot, doesn't work either. Tried one in yellow and one in black, Windows booted and only read off of the one in the yellow slot.

My question is, is there something I can do to fix this? For example, a value in the BIOS?

I have an Asus M3A-770, and as far as I understand the yellow slots are non-dual channel. Check compatibility too, OCZ RAM is know for a fair few conflicts.

Both motherboard support and the RAM are DDR2 800. I've read that this motherboard+RAM combination, however, does not always work..

As a possible alternative to me getting this to work: If I bought two RAM sticks that were of a different brand, and stuck them in the black slots (assuming it's a compatability issue), would there be issues between the sticks?

Thank you CCT, I will try what the guide suggests and your voltage changes once I get enough free time.

Currently my suggested RAM is supposed to run at 1.8V.. DDR2 800 speed. The RAM that I want to buy (2gbx2 Patriot DDR2 1066 and hopefully can combine with my current) is a supposed 2.0V. I'm hoping that the difference between the voltages won't cause many problems; if I find a medium so that all 4 sticks run at the same voltage, will they work? Also the speed difference might cause a problem, and I know it's common sense not to mix these, but would these work together?

When I look at the basic specs of each ram set, I doubt even more that they'll work together. Basic specs:

Current: Dual OCZ set, 2x1GB DDR2-800 1.8V
Was hoping to combine with Current: Dual Patriot set, 2x2GB DDR2-1000 2.1V

I don't think there's a way I can get these to work together; but back to the original question, I'm still not sure why my black RAM slots don't work, and I have no theoretical clue how to fix this other than to experiment in BIOS, since I'm not at my computer for another couple of hours.

Well, that board came out about 2007 - could be the ram slot contacts are dirty. Try a few insert, remove, carefully wipe the ram chip contacts, repeat.

OK, I will try this as well. I just think it's fishy that the two RAM slots that are meant to be dual-channel don't work, not to mention that I've never messed with my BIOS settings or the physical properties of the slots themselves.

I cleaned out the RAM slots and tried every combination in which I could put the RAM in, but no cigar; the yellow slots still don't work. I have no clue what it could be, other than my Motherboard slots simply don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back