Dimension 3000 cpu/processor upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jug_ger_not

Let me go ahead and say "I AM NEW HERE".
Well back on topic
I would like to upgrade my cpu/processor in my Dell Dimension 3000 (yep, it's kinda old),from: Intel Celeron CPU 2.40GHz Socket 478 (as it says in my "System Properties") to a Intel Pentium 4 with 3.0+GHz.
What I need to know is what/where I need to buy to make this work.
My price spending range would be around $200.

Well, I'd Rather not go through all of the modding in all of that.
And about getting a new computer, rather not on my budget, not even Refurbished.

What are you trying to gain out of upgrading? What do you do with your PC? How much RAM does it currently have?

Those proprietary motherboards have such crippled bios, that there is only so much you can do as far as upgrading. Your CPU upgrade is not going to do much for you as I already said. If you want to throw away your money, it's your choice

The best he'll get out of a CPU upgrade is a Pentium 4 3.2GHz with Hyperthreading and a 800MHz FSB. That is a nice step above a Celeron.

If you go that route, you may want to upgrade your RAM with the cash left over and get some that is rated for 800MHz.

That said, if you're trying to play some of the newer games etc., it's not going to happen.

How much would a P4 3.2GHz thats compatible with the Dim3000 cost exactly, and can you provide a link?
Well, if you can't find one, then the Dell Forums say that I can use this one: Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 3.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478 89W Single-Core Processor at Newegg.
All I need to know is that what else would I have to buy heatsink/cooling fan/any part (minus a new mobo/case/new computer) for this processor or the 3.2 GHz version.
Or (I seriously doubt) a better Dim3000 compatible Processor.

If you buy a boxed version of the CPU you'll get a heatsink and fan. You won't need anything else but you might want to upgrade your RAM if the FSB on the new CPU is significantly faster than the old CPU. You may also want to use aftermarket thermal compound.

I don't know all the current prices of every CPU out there heh. Go search around on Ebay (if you feel safe buying your CPU there).

Jug_ger_not said:
How much would a P4 3.2GHz thats compatible with the Dim3000 cost exactly, and can you provide a link?
Well, if you can't find one, then the Dell Forums say that I can use this one: Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 3.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478 89W Single-Core Processor at Newegg.
All I need to know is that what else would I have to buy heatsink/cooling fan/any part (minus a new mobo/case/new computer) for this processor or the 3.2 GHz version.
Or (I seriously doubt) a better Dim3000 compatible Processor.
1.read your manual:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3000/en/SM/specs.htm#wp1075776
2.what you can use depends on how it was origionally configured
3.if this is what your talking about:
http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=509
Google can be your friend, if you use it
The rest is up to you

The heatsink supports Socket 478 so yes. However, it's $34, when the link I posted to Newegg has loads that are <$20. Why pay more?

Your PSU should be fine. If you run into issues upgrade as necessary - but there's no reason to fix something that isn't broken.

Personnaly, I would gut the thing and replace the motherboard, CPU, Memory and power supply. On the motherboard, just pay attention to the number of PCI slots (2 or 3) and get a mini-ATX board with DDR2 and on-chip video and sound

I inadvertently purchased a Dell Dimension 3000 last week on Ebay. I had less than 2 minutes to decide if I wanted it - based on the item description - it was only $116. Here's what the description said:
Model Dell Dimension 3000

CPU P4 2.4 Ghz

RAM 512Mb

Hard Drive 40Gb

Optical/CD ROM DVD

Floppy Yes

Ports Standard

Keyboard, Mouse None

NIC/Modem NIC

COA Windows XP Pro

Restore CDs NOT INCLUDED

Operating System NOT LOADED

Software No software or operating system included with this system.

Other info about system: System is in good working shape

Selling with a 30 day warranty

Only thing I saw was that it was a P4 2.4ghz, perfect for what I need, as I already have a Dell GX260 2ghz and it works great. After the auction ended, I then searched on Google and found out it was a Celeron and I was bummed. I'm HOPING that this PC will meet my needs, which is to play downloaded movies and surf the web. I have another Dell that I brought home from work that was decommission that uses a PIII 500, and it's doing an 'ok' job playing downloaded movies, however, it gets choppy during some parts, pauses during others and Youtube is basically non-playable. I had upgraded that PC's video card to a GeForce 5200 PCI with 128mb of RAM. I really like that video card as it has the HD resolution needed for my 42" LG TV, so I'm going to pull that out and put it in the Dimension 3000 and e-waste the PIII 500. Like I said, hopefully the Celeron 2.4 will be good enough, but if I ever needed to upgrade, it's good to know that I can swap the CPU out.

My question, if I ever upgrade to a P4 3.0ghz chip, will I need to adjust any jumpers or other settings? Or is it plug & play ? I do know I will need to upgrade the memory to 800mhz from the current 400mhz and get a decent heatsink and fan, too.

BishopLord, in the future please create your own thread :).

What leads you to believe it's not going to ship with the advertised CPU?

Assuming your chipset and BIOS support the CPU you upgrade to, there should be no problem with just popped it in and booting up. Here are the supported CPUs for the Dimension 3000:

• Intel® Pentium® 4 processor that runs at 2.8 GHz , 3.0 GHz, and 3.2 GHZ internally and 800 MHz externally with Hyper-Threading Technology
  • Intel Pentium 4 processor that runs at 2.8 GHz internally and 533 MHz externally
  • Intel Celeron® D processor 320, 325, 330, 335, and 340

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back