Directory corrupted and unreadable

Status
Not open for further replies.
[solved] Directory corrupted and unreadable

A couple of weeks ago I suddenly started getting this error message "C:/.... is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." when I tried to access my downloads folder. So I scheduled a disk check for the next time the computer booted, but it didn't solve anything. It currently tries to do the same disk check every time I boot. I tried to run chkdsk with \f from the console, but got an error message "chkdsk.exe - Corrupt File. The file or directory C:/... is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility." And of course a system restore didn't work either. The directory, however, can be accessed without problems from linux (I have a dual boot system with Windows and Ubuntu). I've been googling and trying everything I can think of, but I'm out of ideas, so any suggestions would be welcome. Images of the actual error messages are attached to this post. Thanks!

Technical details
Windows 7
Ubuntu 10.4
Dell Latitude E5400

edit: I have reinstalled Windows and the problem seems to be gone.

Attachments

• Error1.gif
    Error1.gif
    13.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Error2.gif
    Error2.gif
    44.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Error3.gif
    Error3.gif
    12 KB · Views: 5
I see you solved by reinstall and hopefully, there's not a "next" time but, just in case, don't know if you're familiar with System File Check utility. It fixes /replaces files that are critical to Windows that are missing or corrupt.

Then you could've tried running chkdsk again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back