Discord has reportedly walked away from buyout talks with Microsoft

Polycount

Staff
In context: Last month, reports claimed that popular gaming-oriented chat client Discord was considering a $10 billion sale to Microsoft. The community's reception to that news was mixed, to say the least -- many users feared for the privacy of their conversations, or new rules and restrictions brought on by the control of a tech giant.

However, those individuals can breathe a sigh of relief now. According to a new Wall Street Journal report, Discord's talks with Microsoft have fallen through: the former has walked away from the negotiating table to reconsider its options. The outlet says Discord has "fielded interest" from at least three companies regarding a potential sale so far, but it seems none of their offers have been persuasive.

While it's unclear exactly what ended the buyout talks between Discord and Microsoft, there at least a couple of contributing factors. First, the WSJ's sources claim, Discord is happy with how things are going now. It's "performing well" (though it still is not profitable) and would prefer to stay independent, at least for the time being.

Second, multiple reports suggest Discord is considering the possibility of taking itself public. Being bought out by a tech giant would jeopardize those plans, so it's perhaps understandable for the service to get cold feet with Microsoft (and presumably its other suitors).

At the end of the day, all we can do is speculate. Discord's executives are the only ones who truly know what the future of the platform will look like. Regardless, we're along for the ride, and we'll let you know if any new information regarding the chat client's plans comes to light.

Masthead credit: Viewimage

Permalink to story.

It's suprising to me that the app is still not profitable! I think I could put up with a few adverts thrown at me now and then if it means Discord can remain independant. In world of Monopolies I think we could do more to support those companies that want to remain standalone/independant.

It's obvious discord does not want to end up being skype all over again.

I mean in my workplace we have office 365 but we rarely use teams or skype. in fact we'd rather have 40min zoom call on free account. that's how messed up skype is.

I've been using skype since 2006 (with CIF webcam) and yet in 15 years they could not even SIMPLIFY something that they have tons of experience on. guess who's to blame?

It's obvious discord does not want to end up being skype all over again.

I mean in my workplace we have office 365 but we rarely use teams or skype. in fact we'd rather have 40min zoom call on free account. that's how messed up skype is.

I've been using skype since 2006 (with CIF webcam) and yet in 15 years they could not even SIMPLIFY something that they have tons of experience on. guess who's to blame?

Skype for Business is gone July 31st - we've switched over to teams for awhile now. While it's not completely bug free (in true MS form), it works a million times better than Skype, and is actually conducive to work environments.

Skype was an embarrassment, I had nothing good to say about that platform after Microsoft took it over.

MS didn't need Discord, Teams had 115 million ADU "in a recent report" effectively blowing Slack out of contention. But Salesforce / Slack had already done that, Slack has managed to stay afloat, and Discord is doing alright by itself.

The loser in IM+ is thankfully Skype and the faster MS turns down that SIP trojan the better. If Skype takes Infect-Ware Onedrive with it into oblivion, that would be nice. 😎

Software has gone backward so damn far! In the past 20 years it's taken 100+ unicorn web-apps to cover what ONE did even better, back then.

This is good, Microsoft just asset stripped Skype, I used to use Skype daily about 10+ Years ago.
Back in the day I used MSN Instant Messenger all the time, it was fantastic. Then they basically deprecated it for Skype, which I disliked, and I basically stopped using an IM except for Steam. Discord I grudgingly accepted, at best.

Software has gone backward so damn far! In the past 20 years it's taken 100+ unicorn web-apps to cover what ONE did even better, back then.
It's really true, especially where simple messaging is concerned. I personally blame smart phones, which drug us back into the abominable SMS pit, and Apple and iMessage for fragmenting that even further. Instant messaging protocols could be set up to use cross-communication pretty much seamlessly on the user end with apps like Trillian and Pidgin, now it's a blasted hellscape where everyone's walled garden application will only message itself without using some kludgy workaround. It's like as if e-mail had been replaced by digital fax services that only send messages between each other, completely abominable.

It's suprising to me that the app is still not profitable! I think I could put up with a few adverts thrown at me now and then if it means Discord can remain independant. In world of Monopolies I think we could do more to support those companies that want to remain standalone/independant.

I'd rather a one time payment, or even lower cost (like 5.00/month) subscription than ads to support it.
Ad networks are easily compromised, last thing we need is another malware vector.

Back in the day I used MSN Instant Messenger all the time, it was fantastic. Then they basically deprecated it for Skype, which I disliked, and I basically stopped using an IM except for Steam. Discord I grudgingly accepted, at best.

It's really true, especially where simple messaging is concerned. I personally blame smart phones, which drug us back into the abominable SMS pit, and Apple and iMessage for fragmenting that even further. Instant messaging protocols could be set up to use cross-communication pretty much seamlessly on the user end with apps like Trillian and Pidgin, now it's a blasted hellscape where everyone's walled garden application will only message itself without using some kludgy workaround. It's like as if e-mail had been replaced by digital fax services that only send messages between each other, completely abominable.

That's an accurate analogy. MSM - Microsoft Messengers latest-greatest version (for example) was fully loaded and functional software, alongside Yahoo's IM, Trillian and Pidgin - there were a host of independently developed applications too, some with even more functions. All are gone. AT&T saw the dimes from SMS add millions to profits, so they went after it. It's mind blowing that phones crippled PC communication so much and only gave back "web apps" - Slack, Teams, Zoom. And it's all trash. 15 years ago we laughed at that junk. It wouldn't even get into a discussion but now it's all there is.

And we're facing a huge very effective marketing machine that convinces younger people "this is the way it should be" because it's EASY. Easy was never part of high-tech. Apples 'easy' BS is a well designed trap, to convince them to spend more and more when they're told to through "product" announcements - so they can be fashionable - and have more 'easy'.

This is not the direction things should be going. Microsoft can pull messaging, gaming, work apps, and everything else inside their umbrella and close the walls the way Apple has. Everyone else will be outside MS's and Apples Matrix.

MSN messenger was good times. Simple, worked well, intuitive. And Trillian, wow... You really took me back there. The program was a little buggy for me at times, but it was perfect for combining all of the chat services I used for sure.

I'd rather a one time payment, or even lower cost (like 5.00/month) subscription than ads to support it.
Ad networks are easily compromised, last thing we need is another malware vector.
I've never been a fan of subscriptions! I honestly prefer ads providing they are varied enough and not just crappy 3rd party spam. That said subscriptions are definitely an option too. just like with Spotify or other popular programmes that use a subcription model.

Discord already has Nitro but I'm guessing it's not as appealing to the masses as Discord would like.

I've never been a fan of subscriptions! I honestly prefer ads providing they are varied enough and not just crappy 3rd party spam. That said subscriptions are definitely an option too. just like with Spotify or other popular programmes that use a subcription model.

Discord already has Nitro but I'm guessing it's not as appealing to the masses as Discord would like.

That's fair enough.
Personally, I just don't trust ad networks, and a major reason I ditched cable/TV was due to commercials. Been running an ad-blocker for well over 15 years now as well, so I'm just used to a clean, as free internet.

I'm not opposed to tossing some cash at site or platform I enjoy and would like to support though, obviously.

Back