Disney+ eliminates free trials as a show of strength

Shawn Knight

Staff member
A hot potato: Disney+, the on-demand subscription video streaming service that launched late last year, is no longer offering new users a free trial to get their feet wet. Up to this point, those who had not previously been a member could try it out risk-free for 7 days before deciding whether or not to commit to a paid subscription.

A spokesperson for Disney told CNET that “the service was set at an attractive price-to-value proposition that we believe delivers a compelling entertainment offering on its own.”

Disney+ commands $6.99 per month, or $69.99 a year when paid upfront which works out to $5.83 per month. Optionally, you can get Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ as part of a bundle for $12.99 a month, an excellent value if you happen to also be interested in the other two offerings.

Free trials are standard among streaming services but they aren’t universal. Dazn, the over-the-top subscription sports streaming service that plays host to some of the biggest boxing and MMA bouts the industry has to offer, nixed its free trial offering last year.

Going against the grain and doing away with the free trial could make life a bit easier for Disney. Some no doubt abuse the system by creating throwaway accounts, allowing them to exploit the free trial in perpetuity and never actually paying for the service. Getting rid of free trials also makes it easier for Disney to tally actual subscribers by eliminating the guesswork that comes with trying to forecast what percentage of trial users will convert to paying members. Plus, it suggests that Disney is confident in its offering and its ability to compete with other streaming services.

It may not be a popular move but at the very least, there are no contracts involved so if you do give the service a try for a month and don’t like it, you’re only out $6.99.

Image credit: Vantage_DS

Permalink to story.

EVERY... Single company on the planet follows this idea. And it is more a show of greed.
Hello customer, are you new to us, we already have lots of customers who are willing to pay full price, but you, well we don't have you in our contract just yet. How to steal your hard earned cash, I mean exchange it for sub par screen time, I mean for excellent, the best tv ever. Trials. Half price for the first 6 months. Etc. Etc, yawn.

And now that we have you, we don't have to treat you fairly, no you will pay, and pay through the nose, and when we decide to bring offers out again, you the loyal customer will get sweet FA from us. For it is only the new customers we want. Or the lazy people who can't be bothered to argue, or to lazy to cancel their subscription until they have realised they haven't even used it for 3 months.

Welcome to fleecing 101.

Am I the only one who thought 'The Mandalorian' was utter garbage?

The story & dialogue were decidedly 3rd rate, to me.

I greatly lowered my expectations, so it was tolerable.

This article reminded me I was subbed so I just canceled.

I would actually like it if others removed free trials for their services I will never pay for. That way they won't bother me with constant FREE TRIAL!!! popups.

There was the last season of Clone Wars. Tbh, after I was done watching the two, I haven't had a reason to turn on Disney+.
Why has it taken off so much? I know loads of people from work who signed up immediately, I still can't fathom why.

Why has it taken off so much? I know loads of people from work who signed up immediately, I still can't fathom why.
Most I'd bet are parents. I know my one buddy got it pretty quickly after knowing the kids were going to be at home a lot more than they expected lol

Am I the only one who thought 'The Mandalorian' was utter garbage?

The story & dialogue were decidedly 3rd rate, to me.
I actually enjoyed it, yet still didn't stop me from unsubbing though. Total trash that they can't include all Disney/Marvel show and or movie because "it's a kids platform".

Load of cruck, give me deadpool. But too late now, I am gone, now the only thing I am subbed to is netflix and kayo.

Most I'd bet are parents. I know my one buddy got it pretty quickly after knowing the kids were going to be at home a lot more than they expected lol
I can confirm it is great for parents. I have also enjoyed several nostalgia items on there(Gargoyles, that's so raven, kim possible and spider man)

Streaming services are the new "crack" Rope you in with a low price, then start jacking it up
over the years. It will just make people download more through the torrents again.

In this day and age, having the opportunity to "try before you buy" has become a long standing standard for most buyers .... but not all. I think this is something that comes in time as a person gets older and gets burned more than once by those that promise the moon but can't even deliver the cheese. While not the cause, it certainly encourages people to pirate these shows and frankly, The Disney Company is collectively smarter than this so I chalk it up to poor management & even poorer leadership.

It will just make people download more through the torrents again.
Yeah it definitely has. They're making the same mistakes they made with cable, making it more expensive and harder to get to any of the good stuff.

It's a shame really as only a few short years ago I could find pretty much anything I wanted with a VPN and Netflix.

There are kids, however, there is also the free year with a verizon contract. That verizon deal has to skew the numbers, IMO.

Disney may be in for a rude awakening when that free year is up if people decide not to subscribe because they now will have to pay extra for it.

Also, I expect that Disney will release things like "The Mandelorian" and the final season of "The Clone Wars" on Blu-ray or DVD. I'll get them from my local library when that happens and not have to concern myself with a torrent.

For me, a seven-day free trial is worthless. It is just enough to get a taste, or maybe if I had the time, binge The Clone Wars or The Mandelorian, but beyond it holds no attraction for me.

IMO, Disney is playing the greed card.

I signed up for the pre-launch special offer. The reason was the Mandalorian and Clone Wars.

Interestingly, Disney airs these series like regular TV stations do - an episode per week. They probably didn‘t chose the Netflix model since that way you could watch everything that‘s interesting in a month and cancel then.

Since I‘m subscribed for a year, I will watch the Marvel movies and wait for season two of the Mandalorian.

The reasoning I had heard from a quite reputable cast member was with Hamilton making its debut on July 3rd, they didn’t want a ton of new subscribers, only to have them leave by the 9th or 10th after watching it for free.

Selfish I know.

Living in Southern California, we are big Disney fans, and have seen very little content that was not enjoyable.
Mandalorian and the accompanying shows with the directors, and behind the scenes pictures and videos really shows what they’ve accomplished technologically since original Episodes 4-6 were created by George Lucas. Absolutely amazing where they’re at now, and where they are heading in the future. Even Lucas was impressed with what he saw.

I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner. It was never much of a secret that the number of nerdlings exploiting the free trial was way out of hand long ago. Loaded with a bunch of whiners (many in this thread) that would get a free trial, complain endlessly about content, and then do it again, since, you know, the service was so bad they needed multiple free accounts to prove it.

Free trials are dying slowly and will either be gone soon or will be heavily restricted to block tier-one shows\movies until these deadbeats pay up or leave.

Back