Disney publishes first full-length trailer for The Lion King remake

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Walt Disney Studios on Wednesday published a new trailer for Jon Favreau’s remake of the 1994 classic animated film The Lion King. This time around, Disney is relying on photorealistic computer animation for the visuals and I must say, it’s some of the most beautiful and believable CGI work ever witnessed.

The trailer is currently the #2 trending video on YouTube with over 1.5 million views as of writing.

Perhaps the only criticism one could find in the trailer, as spied over on Gizmodo, is the seeming lack of emotion on some of the characters’ faces. This was likely done on purpose – maybe Disney believed having heavy expressions would make it feel too over-the-top or cartoony, or maybe we just aren’t getting a full representation in the trailer. Either way, we’ll reserve final judgment until after seeing the full film.

The Lion King hits theaters on July 19, 2019.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

"Well, I've never seen the king of beasts with quite so little hair!"

Hopefully the music will still be as great as the original animated version during my childhood!

I must say it is mind-blowing, how hand-drawn animation from 1994 looks so much better than CGI 15 years later.
This kinda feels like I am watching a game trailer. Maybe cause I am a gamer and used to CGI, but I thought in 2019 we could do so much better.

I must say it is mind-blowing, how hand-drawn animation from 1994 looks so much better than CGI 15 years later.
This kinda feels like I am watching a game trailer. Maybe cause I am a gamer and used to CGI, but I thought in 2019 we could do so much better.
They can't really go into super realism for this movie even if it can be done.

Back