Disney's upcoming streaming service could contain a 10-episode, $100 million Star Wars...

Polycount

Staff

We know Disney's Netflix-like paid streaming service is on its way, but we don't know much about the content that will arrive with it.

However, a recent New York Times report says Disney has been working on a live-action Star Wars show, which will be exclusive to its streaming service. Details about the show are scarce, but we know that it will have a 10-episode first season, and it will be written by former Iron Man director Jon Favreau.

The first season of the as-of-yet untitled show will cost Disney about $100 million to produce, which is about on par with the funding other high-profile shows tend to receive.

Interestingly, Disney isn't limiting its new platform's original content to just shows. Much like Netflix, the company will produce numerous exclusive full-length movies for the service. Notably, this film line-up will include live-action versions of Disney classics like The Sword in the Stone and The Lady and the Tramp.

Roughly nine of these films are in production at the moment, with each boasting a budget of between $20 and $60 million. If you're eager to check the service out, it should be launching sometime in 2019.

Permalink to story.

Whenever you think the next StarWars abomination cannot be any lower than the last one...

Sounds like Disney is gambling quite a bit on this service. From my experience, the one thing that is for sure is that a big budget does not necessarily mean a quality product.

That said, I have no intention of subscribing to this.
Whenever you think the next StarWars abomination cannot be any lower than the last one...
I would not be so sure of that.

It's time for a streaming service that has all the cinematic franchises under its roof. :) I can't see DC streaming surviving long. I can't imagine a Dark Universe streaming service, and I think Marvel could do it, but it'd be too much overhead and overspending.

"quality content"

Erm, have you watched TLJ? Lots of flashes and spectacle to cover up the story written by idi0t man-children, that completely breaks canon and pushes political agendas? Full of pointless characters, Leia Poppins, and more convenient plot devices then poorly written fan-fiction?

Quality Star Wars under Disney is an impossibility. As long as Kathleen Kennedy, a glorified secretary with a political agenda, is in charge, star wars is going to continue being a flaming trainwreck.

Frankly, it is amazing how much money disney can throw into keeping a dumpster on fire.

Back