Display Driver BSOD - Faulty Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

I've been getting a BSOD with the latest ATI display drivers (8.10). Basically, every time I go to play a game, the video cuts out after a bit and then returns once VPU recovery resets the card. I can keep playing for a minute or so but then the system craps out and I get the blue screen. It does mention the display driver as the culprit but it also says "fault_in_nonpaged_area" as well. I was having similar issues with a previous driver so I updated; I'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly is causing this to happen. My video card isn't overheating, I'm quite sure of that, but I was told if the screen goes black it could be faulty. Any ideas? I've attached to corresponding minidump to this thread. Thanks in advance for any help.

He has provided System Info it's just under his Post Count.

Did you clear the Old Drivers out before installing the New Version?

Try clearing your Drivers with Driver Cleaner Pro

Are all Games the same with Crashes?

If so have you tried a Game on Low settings with the Graphics Card removed.

Lastly have you run Memtest86? - http://www.memtest.org/

I always clear my old drivers out with Driver Cleaner Pro, and I never leave any of the entries sitting in the Add/Remove programs list. Not all of my games crash but the ones that do are fully updated and report no errors or require any maintenance.

I have made a little bit of progress with this as I found a possible "Work Around" solution for the card on the AMD Game forums. It seems that this card in particular has an issue with swapping clock speeds from 2D to 3D (500mhz to 750mhz). The card does this because, obviously, 3D apps require a lot more GPU power than 2D apps. So, this solution I found (should work w/ any 4870 card) works setting the clock speeds manually with RivaTuner, which I am very familiar with. Once I set the core to the native speed, 750mhz, I was able to play the end of a game I had not been able to finish without it crashing on me. Now, I'm not saying that it's fixed cuz I haven't done a whole lot of testing yet but it seems many people have done with good results. It's a shame that such a good card is flawed by these stupid little tidbits but that's what happens when the market is rushed I guess. If anyone else is having a similar issue, please take a look at the topic below for a possible fix!

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=100973&enterthread=y

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back