Do we need Spybot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJM

Increasingly, each time I log on Spybot pops up and asks me to allow or deny sometimes multiple changes even when I don't think I've made any changes. There is no red cross in the corner and no cancel button - a decision has to be made. How can I make a decision when I don't what affect it will produce?
Should I just uninstall Spybot and save all the bother?

Spybot is proactive protection; TeaTimer prevents infections so as to avoid all issues
with removal -- I'll take all the proactive protection I can get.

This is parallel to Spywareblaster protection from bad ActiveX and
the host file from MVSP.org to avoid know bad domains.

Yes, it can be confusing -- allow vs deny and to know should I tell it to remember or not.
The technique is to be aware of what you are doing and what you expect from the
web sources you access.
I would hope you can tell when to allow Downloads or to avoid Installs or Starting Progams.
Launching Rundll32 is a nighmare, but blame Microsoft not Sypbot :)

Increasingly, each time I log on Spybot pops up and asks me to allow or deny sometimes multiple changes even when I don't think I've made any changes. There is no red cross in the corner and no cancel button - a decision has to be made. How can I make a decision when I don't what affect it will produce?
Should I just uninstall Spybot and save all the bother?

Changes need to be OKed or not using your own best judgment. Many times they're harmless, such as a flash update. Active X can create huge problems, and while it does have it's uses, the best thing to do is surf with Firefox whenever possible and avoid it altogether. If a program absolutely requires an active X control be installed, research it before allowing it.

No, is generally a preferable answer to yes. If it's something that you do need, you'll notice something not working correctly, or it'll give you another nag/chance.

I use AVG currently and watch the sites I visit. I used to use AVG Antispam as it was the only one I found that dealt with a particularly nasty piece of spyware that installed itself into the system tray - cannot remember the name of it right now.

I download adaware and spybot to run when I feel its time for a scan. I am using XP but windows defender is too resource heavy. I also use firefox with a script blocker so my computer is pretty clean.

Many thanks to all who answered, I guess I'll just have to be aware of what I've done to cause it to question me. As Captaincranky says I can always answer no if I'm not sure and it will soon advise me if it's unhappy

JJM

Is Vista your OS?. In my experience and that of some other users I encountered on some computer boards Spybot does not play with Vista as well as it played with XP. After some experience on my Vista PC I uninstalled it because of problems similar to yours.

Whether Spybot is the best antispyware or not is also debatable.

JJM

Is Vista your OS?. In my experience and that of some other users I encountered on some computer boards Spybot does not play with Vista as well as it played with XP. After some experience on my Vista PC I uninstalled it because of problems similar to yours.

Whether Spybot is the best antispyware or not is also debatable.

I don't think that the point here is whether Spybot is the best available, it probably isn't. It's a very good, valuable tool, it's free, and it's a decent anti-spyware agent, plus startup manager.
As to whether it plays well with Vista, to the best of my knowledge, it may not be designed so. Many other older XP programs won't either. Heck, for a while there, Vista wasn't playing well with Vista. Many of us still happily run XP with very little desire to change.
It's just fortunate for us that people take the time and effort to invest their talent into programs that help us, and do it for nothing.

Spybot's "Tea Timer" can be unmanageable if it's not installed after or with a clean install of Windows. It seems to want to revert the registry, scan files, and does make a miriad of announcements, but after a while it appears to calm down. Now that it's new version has been on my computer for a while, every announcement relates to something I've done, and I'm good with that.

Now, "Ad Aware 2008" doesn't impress me as much as the earlier version. I've reinstalled it a couple of times after an update crash, and an application failed to start debacle. It also seems to take twice as long to scan the same machine which now has less programs installed.

I use it on occasion but I find that my Norton corporate AV catches most. In fact, I have not found spybot to be much of use in a long time, but it is still nice to have.

Norton corporate is FAR superior to the home editions. There really isn't a good comparison. I wouldn't recommend any home edition of symantec products.

I'm a big fan of Spybot. Considering that its free and damn easy to get to grips with, I wouldn't give a second thought about keeping it. I know what you mean though. It's a bit frustrating to have to make an on the spot decision when the messages can be a bit ambiguous at times.

I haven't tried Norton Corporate, but didn't like the home edition and it was interfering with my day to day tasks a little too much.

And as somebody mentioned, I've also heard a fair amount about Spybot being not so good on Vista. Still an XP user myself so I can't confirm, but that seems to be the vibe!

As a a person who has a great number of Corporate clients (and Government clients), i have found no difference with Norton - Symantec Corporate, except that you do have somebody to talk to when all things go to hell. As far as quality, there is no real difference. Norton and Symantec are turkeys for the home or the corporation... Which slipped even further with Norton 360... for which a significant upgrade is brewing and will be out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back