Does my brand-new Toshiba Hard Drive contain hazardous chemicals?

I recently bought a Toshiba Hard Drive, which is 1 Terabyte. No much information of the model, it says CANVIO BASICS®.

But I decided to read the documentation that came within' the box and one says: This product contains chemicals, such as lead, which is known for causing cancer or birth defects. Wash hands after handling.

I freaked out because I have an addiction on eating my nails, so I ate my nails after putting my hand inside the protection polymer of the disk.
I may just be creating drama. But I want to know if the amount or exposure is safe for me and my family or I should take the said precaution. Sorry if I exaggerate, as I said, I may just be mounting drama. I tend to overthink little things.

The chances of you picking up enough lead to do you harm from just handling the HDD is 0% it's a warning that they must use if a device contains lead regardless these days it's more scare mongering than fact

It has to say that because of Proposition 65 in California. The outside of the drive wouldn't have any except perhaps some on the bottom (circuit board), but its not like it comes off in any real quantity. Secondly, lead is pretty harmless to adults*, where lead is a real problem is children who's brains are still developing.

*sure, enough of anything is going to be bad, but we are talking handling one hard drive and then not washing hands.

Back