Dolphin emulator now supports entire GameCube library

Scorpus

Staff member

Fans of Nintendo's 15-year-old GameCube will be glad to hear that Dolphin, an open-source emulator for the game console, is now able to run every single game in the GameCube library.

Dolphin has supported the vast majority of GameCube games for some time, however there was one title that the developers struggled to get running in the emulator. Star Wars: The Clone Wars, a 2002 game from LucasArts, utilized the GameCube's PowerPC Memory Management Unit (MMU) in a very complex way that was tricky to emulate, until now that is.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars is now playable in Dolphin, which ends a quest to support all 660 games in the GameCube's library. The developers of the emulator have a detailed blog post on how they managed to emulate the complex MMU systems, which is a good read if you're interested.

While Dolphin is by far the best tool available for emulating GameCube games, it still isn't perfect. The emulator can boot every game in the library, but a small selection remain unplayable as the emulator cannot progress past the menu screen, while a slightly larger selection experience major issues during gameplay.

Despite these issues, Dolphin is able to perfectly emulate some of the GameCube's most popular games, including Mario Party 6 and 7, Mario Kart: Double Dash, and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. You can download Dolphin for Windows, Mac and Android right here.

Permalink to story.

Oh god this game was the first thing I questioned when I saw this article. Game was a good year or two of my childhood.

Its an impressive feat nonetheless.

"The emulator can boot every game in the library, but a small selection remain unplayable as the emulator cannot progress past the menu screen, while a slightly larger selection experience major issues during gameplay."

Can we get a list of those?

Back