Doom 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedster

Id software announced that they are starting Doom 4. I can't wait. I built my last computer just to play Doom 3 !

I must admit I was rather dissapointed in Doom 3. Repetetive and boring gameplay just became a chore in the end. I'm more of a Quake man, prefer it over all the Doom games. With that said I'll still give Doom 4 a chance. Maybe ID have learnt from their mistakes and will make Doom 4 a good game.

I will probably build a computer just for Doom 4, but not exactly for it only, since many games I want to play I can't.

I agree with jtickner, Doom 3 was very repetitive.

LOL @ Doom 3! all it had was the graphics, the game itslef was a pile of s##t if you ask me.

Doom 4 might be good, I'll give it a go. But there are many other games that I am looking forward to more than Doom 4.

jtickner1 said:
I must admit I was rather dissapointed in Doom 3. Repetetive and boring gameplay just became a chore in the end. I'm more of a Quake man, prefer it over all the Doom games. With that said I'll still give Doom 4 a chance. Maybe ID have learnt from their mistakes and will make Doom 4 a good game.
Quake and Doom are the same thing, so I'm not sure how Doom qualifies as repetitive and boring where Quake does not? Quake4 has slightly more depth than other Doom/Quake titles but is still a typical linear FPS game.

Quake and Doom are not the same thing otherwise they wouldn't have different names, different enemies, different stories, different looking weapons... And so on. Quake and Doom are similar games and Quake comes out on top in their sibling rivalry. Honestly.. Who here had more fun with Doom 3 over Q4? I would much rather play the original Quake than Doom 3 any day.

Quake 4 is repetitive and gets really repetitive toward the end but still doesn't even come close to challenging Doom 3 in a competition of repetition. I'll show you..

Doom 3 - | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Quake 4 - | - ( _ ) ^ < > | - ( _ ) ^ <> |

LMAO @ ^
However, Doom 4 will bring to us the next ID Tech engine...and a PC overhaul. GeForce 11KGTX, here I come! ;)

jtickner1 said:
Quake and Doom are not the same thing otherwise they wouldn't have different names, different enemies, different stories, different looking weapons... And so on. Quake and Doom are similar games and Quake comes out on top in their sibling rivalry. Honestly.. Who here had more fun with Doom 3 over Q4? I would much rather play the original Quake than Doom 3 any day.

Quake 4 is repetitive and gets really repetitive toward the end but still doesn't even come close to challenging Doom 3 in a competition of repetition. I'll show you..

No really I agree with you Quake4 is a better game than Doom3 in almost every respect, but it is still the same thing. That is a basic FPS title and nothing more. What does Quake4 have over Doom3? Marginally better graphics a few more cutscenes and extremely linear vehicle levels. This is why if Doom3 equates to repetitive and boring gameplay then so do all of the Quake/Doom games.

Quake 3 is more like an Unreal game than other Quake games. Quake 1 and 2 are what most people would tell you to play.

mopar man said:
I think I am going to get Quake 3 and try it out, as I have never tried Quake.

Good luck with that.

If you wish to play, I suggest you to buy via Steam, or any video stores.

I find em more like this:

Doom 3 - ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Quake 4 - ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||(|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Doom 4 is supposed to use ID Tech 5, I would get the game to see the engine, but I wouldn't upgrade my PC to play the game.

mopar man said:
I think I am going to get Quake 3 and try it out, as I have never tried Quake.
IMHO Unreal Tournament is superior to Quake3 and the first Unreal game was better than Quake or Quake2.

All of the Quake series have been quite different apart from 2 and 4.

Quake 1 had alternating "base" and "castle" maps with different types of enemies. It was quite unique for it's time and is the engine that Half Life was based upon.

Quake 2 is a different storyline based on the usual one marine takes on a horde of cyborg aliens (the Strogg). It was less popular with online players. It has no relation to Quake 1.

Quake 3 is a multiplayer only hybrid of all the Quake games and Doom, the maps have a sort of "Quake 1 in technicolor" feel about them. The player models include the marines from Doom, Quake and Quake 2 as well as host of cyborgs and aliens and a Strogg character, so at the time it was really just a multplayer medley of all of ID's games to showcase the new engine.

Quake 4 (based on Doom3) is another Strogg based game and is the sequel to Quake 2.

Unlike the above Doom does stick to it's own storyline, familiar plot and the usual enemies. Through 1 to 3 they have been pretty consistently linear and samey.

If you want online play and you have a half decent system then Unreal Tournament 2004 is the way to go. You can pick it up for £10 these days.

Thats a problem, running on dial up I think I am going to get Quake 2 and 4, and hope to god I can get Quake 4 running on my machine.

mopar man said:
Thats a problem, running on dial up I think I am going to get Quake 2 and 4, and hope to god I can get Quake 4 running on my machine.
Quake 4 will not run well if at all on that FX 5200, stick to Quake 2 or 3. You can still play Quake 3 offline vs bots if you like that kind of thing. If you haven't already played Unreal/UT, get those as they will run well on your system.

Well, I get tired of just fighting bots. UT (original) is setting on my machine and never gets played. The computer I run my games on is a Slight bit better, having a radeon 9250 pro in it, but slightly worse processor.

mopar man said:
Well, I get tired of just fighting bots. UT (original) is setting on my machine and never gets played. The computer I run my games on is a Slight bit better, having a radeon 9250 pro in it, but slightly worse processor.
If you don't like UT then don't bother with Quake 3. The 9250 Pro will also struggle with Quake 4. To run Quake 4 decently you'd probably need a minimum of 9800 non Pro.

I thought that Doom 3 was quite a PoS as a game, though at the time it did show off some rather splendid looking graphics, but thats about it. It was more of like a Technology Showcase, much like how Unreal Tournament is.

Unreal Tournament itself isn't much of a game but its rather made to demonstrate how well their engine can be utilised in the right hands, to be used in all sorts of games e.g. Gears of War and Vegas (albeit the source files that they attained in vegas 2 were unpolished and frankly didn't show off the true abilities of the unreal 3.0 engine. Same goes to Vegas 2)

I never quite like John Carmack's proprietary engine. it always seemed so shiny and sparkly for some reason, much like how with Splinter Cell 3 i think Sam Fisher was mr Shiny plastic suit man.

Overall Doom 3 wasn't very immersive, its tricks were cheap (look out for medikits right in the middle of nowhere or in an extremely awkward spot. most likely lights go out, zombies come out of nowhere etc etc, crap goes on) It wasn't even a tad scary and i sort of just uninstalled it without finishing the game.

Quake 4 however i finished and though it wasn't the best of games, i enjoyed the shooting heh. Trigger happy cannon fodder game but its good XD

I hope Doom 4 fills the void on how a survival horror shooter should be, and don't even start with FEAR. Absolutely not frightening at all even with all the lights off and playing at night.

a friend of mine is a doom fanatic. i dont hate it, just cant sit around playing it all the time lol. he'll def be getting this one

Here's a question

Will it be a new storyline?
Because Doom 3 was a retelling of #1 if I'm not mistaken

Or will Doom 4 be a retelling of Doom 2?
If so, Does someone have enough time to mod it into a Duke Nukem game?

If so, Does someone have enough time to mod it into a Duke Nukem game?

Haha, easier said than done really... It takes alot of effort and time and planning as well if you're to make something which turns out NOT 1/2 assed. Duke Nukem Forever seems to be making its way out so why not wait for that i would say.

Yes, mods aren't something you can just think up and *poof* it appears. It takes the planning, model making, animation, scripting, etc.

haha
tell that to the source engine, rediculous # of mods

and DNF has seen so many delays

its actually been killed completly and restarted twice

EDIT:

errr... once i think, not twice

lol the source engine is a highly modifyable engine. :p its dependent on which engine you work on, and how good the tools out there for it are, be it official or 3rd party :X

I do Games Dev for a living >_> i should know :X

Who knows if DNF will ever make it out
honestly, it has to be one hell of a game if not its not going to affect me one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back